VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im wondering if the Roland MPU-401 card from Rolands boxed rig "Super-MPU-2AT" is worth getting its the one with 2x Midi in/out in the break out box, I looked it up and it needs a TSR to enable intelligent mode in dos but Im hoping to hook it up to an MT-32 one day when I hget one so would getting the Super-MPU-2AT be worth it?

Reply 2 of 3, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had problems with using it in DOS, but that was a system without a PnP manager. However, it was the only PnP card on the system, which apparently, shouldn't have been an issue. Doom engine notably wasn't generating midi on it.

The card was discussed a little on a thread started by me a few years ago:

Roland SC-88VL Hookup

But in truth, that thread is really about the SC-88VL

All around, my feeling is that the Super-MPU-IIAT is a card for systems of the mid-nineties, when it was released. At first, I thought I wouldn't be able to use it, but ultimately I built a Pentium system Windows 3.1 as its primary OS, and have been well pleased. Probably good for Windows 95 as well, but a pure Dos system? I was displeased...

This is just my experience, though.

Reply 3 of 3, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I lied, a little. Rereading those posts, it looks like I met disaster on my PnP solution, and ultimately needed SOFTMPU to save the day, regardless. Now that my memory returns, the non-PnP system was just a disaster.