VOGONS

First post, by Mowdy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all kindly dos lovers. i have recently bought me a rally mint P2 400mhz with 160mb ram. it has 2 pci slots, 2 isa slot and 1 agp slot. Well what bother my most is the soundcard. It is plugged in a isa slot. it is a card like this
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 616&menustate=0

well, there is no driver loaded in my autoexec.bat file, but the sound work in most game. But some games says that the sound is not SET and thherefor sound is disabled. My guess is that it is not set in autoexec bat. but i will load drivers, i have always done that, and i wanna do it now, but i cant remeber how its done in autoexec.bat and where to put my drivers.

okay i download the ess_isa.zip
in that zip file there is a folder called es1869
in that folder there is 5 files

ES1868.COM
ESSCFG.EXE
ESSCFG.INI
ESSVOL.EXE
GO.BAT

Which one of them is the driver ??

Okay i put the files in c:\dos\drivers\sound

What shall my autoexec.bat lines looks like ? and do i need anything in config.sys too ??

Last, how can i see that my soundcard driver is loaded and my soundcard is registered as the one i have in the computer, ess1868 card.

Thanks for reading and eventually helping me !

Best regards
Mowdy !

Reply 1 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Open go.bat in that package to see the example. The lines with REM in front are commented out so only the lines below matter. I put the folder name you mentioned in front. If you put the lines below in your autoexec.bat it should work.
The bottom two lines are about the volume settings.

c:\dos\drivers\sound\ESSCFG.EXE /V:1 /I:7 /D:1 /E:3 /A:220 /B:330 /J:E
c:\dos\drivers\sound\ESSVOL.EXE /v:8 /l:0 /w:8 /m:0 /c:0 /s:8 /a:8 /p:0
c:\dos\drivers\sound\ESSVOL.EXE

Where it says /I:7 you may have to change that to /I:5, if you prefer that IRQ. The parameters for ESSCFG there are: Verbose-output, IRQ, DMA1, DMA2, IO-Address, MPU-Address, Joystick-Enable.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 9, by Mowdy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:
Open go.bat in that package to see the example. The lines with REM in front are commented out so only the lines below matter. I […]
Show full quote

Open go.bat in that package to see the example. The lines with REM in front are commented out so only the lines below matter. I put the folder name you mentioned in front. If you put the lines below in your autoexec.bat it should work.
The bottom two lines are about the volume settings.

c:\dos\drivers\sound\ESSCFG.EXE /V:1 /I:7 /D:1 /E:3 /A:220 /B:330 /J:E
c:\dos\drivers\sound\ESSVOL.EXE /v:8 /l:0 /w:8 /m:0 /c:0 /s:8 /a:8 /p:0
c:\dos\drivers\sound\ESSVOL.EXE

Where it says /I:7 you may have to change that to /I:5, if you prefer that IRQ. The parameters for ESSCFG there are: Verbose-output, IRQ, DMA1, DMA2, IO-Address, MPU-Address, Joystick-Enable.

Thanks for showing me that. Next how can i then see that my soundcard is loades in system. I dont see any post in dos start that showing me it is loading like i see my cd-rom is loading.

Reply 3 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am sure it should show a message, Since the second ESSVOL line is there to show a message of the volume settings.

You may need to read/learn more about MS-DOS basics, since you seem to have difficulties with running simple programs in DOS.

Reply 4 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, ESSCFG.EXE is not technically a driver - what that's doing, is using ISA PnP to configure the hardware settings. After that, there's no driver as such - to most games, an ESS1868 or 1869 is a Sound Blaster Pro (except for the few that have an ESS Audiodrive option. If they have that, use it.) You just need to set up the hardware, and then probably set the BLASTER variable in your autoexec.bat so that games can know where the card is.

For the ESSCFG settings above, the BLASTER line would look like this:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4 P330

That breaks down as Address 220h, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Type 4 (newer SB Pro), MPU-401 address 330.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 6 of 9, by Mowdy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:
Also, ESSCFG.EXE is not technically a driver - what that's doing, is using ISA PnP to configure the hardware settings. After tha […]
Show full quote

Also, ESSCFG.EXE is not technically a driver - what that's doing, is using ISA PnP to configure the hardware settings. After that, there's no driver as such - to most games, an ESS1868 or 1869 is a Sound Blaster Pro (except for the few that have an ESS Audiodrive option. If they have that, use it.) You just need to set up the hardware, and then probably set the BLASTER variable in your autoexec.bat so that games can know where the card is.

For the ESSCFG settings above, the BLASTER line would look like this:

That breaks down as Address 220h, IRQ 7, DMA 1, Type 4 (newer SB Pro), MPU-401 address 330.

Yes, just did that, and thats works. i was just a bit confused about drivers here.. 😀 All game is working with sound

Reply 7 of 9, by Mowdy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

I am sure it should show a message, Since the second ESSVOL line is there to show a message of the volume settings.

You may need to read/learn more about MS-DOS basics, since you seem to have difficulties with running simple programs in DOS.

I dont have problems runnig programs, i have some hardware troubles. Thats why i ask in here.

Reply 9 of 9, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jade_angel wrote:

Good point but ESSCFG sets that automatically already (except the P330 part).