VOGONS

First post, by smevans526

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm designing a machine and would like it to use the awe64 gold (ISA) for sound in DOS mode (I'd probably design the system to load directly in DOS), and then use an Aureal Vortex when in windows95.

Both cards always plugged in.

Is it possible?

Reply 2 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should be able to go to control panel -> multimedia and choose your default playback devices within windows, at least I'm sure you can in Win98SE, it's been a while since I've bothered with 95. Or just disable the Awe64 in your device manager and be done with it if you don't want it working in windows at all, since PnP cards should automatically be installed and configured with windows.

Give it a try and see what happens, should be a non issue, i'm running 2 PnP cards (SB Live! 5.1 + CT3600) and a CT1600 with win98SE, i never have issues getting it to do what I want, including having games use two cards simultaneously for midi and effects.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 4, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran a Vortex 2 + AWE 64 Gold in 1998-1999 exactly how you want to do it. No problems.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video