VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My initial assumption was that, as it is an SB16 with discrete OPL3 and not a Vibra, and is listed as Type 2 bugged in the Vogons Wiki, that it would be bugged. As such, I was planning on using either a YMF-719 or an ESS688 in its place. However, I've stumbled across information that SB16 models with CT1747 OPL3 chips are not prone to this bug regardless of DSP version. Which one is correct?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

Like the wiki says, they're still bugged. Shows up a lot less often than the first type of bug.

So if I'm considering eventually using a daughterboard or an external midi device with the computer, the CT2290 is still not a safe idea to use?

YMF719 it is then.

Reply 4 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Or dare I suggest two cards?

Well, technically I will be running two cards already, the YMF-719 with a Dreamblaster X3M for DOS 6.22 and OS/2 Warp 4 alongside a Sound Blaster Live! for Win98 and Win2K.

Reply 5 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2290 is a great card - I've never noticed it hang the MIDI. Watch out for the CT2291 (or maybe 95?) which looks identical apart from a smaller, low power OPl3 - this card has the hanging note bug.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😒

Does it have the bug or not? I've heard several people owning the card claiming it has no bug, but others insist that it does..

And this thread is more of the same..

Maybe I should just try it myself. For the good of us all. Except the ones who are dead..

Reply 7 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Due to its use of the CT1747 bus-interface chip, the CT2290 does not have the bug that exhibits as corruption of the MIDI stream during concurrent PCM playback. (i.e., the "Hexen bug")

It does, however, have the same architectural/MCU-sharing limitation as every other SB16 - "DSP" operations relating to PCM playback affect the ready/not-ready state of the MPU. Such conflicts may manifest as either gameplay slowdown in cases where the driver "waits it out," or incomplete/dropped MIDI messages in cases where it doesn't and the buffering is insufficient.

Depending on the games that you play, you may never encounter issues related to the latter.

Reply 9 of 13, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2017-09-15, 21:16:

The 2290 is a great card - I've never noticed it hang the MIDI. Watch out for the CT2291 (or maybe 95?) which looks identical apart from a smaller, low power OPl3 - this card has the hanging note bug.

I now have two CT2290 and did not experience the hanging note bug, even though it is supposed to be a Type 2 bugged card according to https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Hanging_note_bug . This card also has several advantages which I listed here Re: My Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 Review

Reply 10 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I now have two CT2290 and did not experience the hanging note bug

Unlike Type 1 bug, it's rare to occur and very random. It's more or a mild annoyance than real problem.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 13, by RoundTheTwist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2017-09-15, 21:16:

Hi Badmojo, I've been lurking here for years and never signed up but I recently obtained a CT2291 and mine has the exact same OPL chip (CT1747) as the 2290 and 2230. I just wanted to post here in case people worry about the CT2291, but it seems ok OPL wise to me? Have never seen a CT2295 maybe it was small on that one?

Reply 12 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi! I wasn't highlighting an issue with the OPL chip - whether it's the original full sized chip or the smaller, low power OPL3, both are fine. I was just warning people that the CT2291 has the nastiest hanging note bug (MIDI related, not FM), where the CT2290 does not have the bug (in my experience anyway).

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 13, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my CT2290 (V4.13 CT1741) definitely has the bug in doom engine games and on some maps it occurs often enough to be annoying, i have a worst case example as well in case someone wants to verify: doom2 map14. this weird loud square wave at the very end often gets stuck at the loop and the following part is rather quiet so it is very noticeable. i've had it happen on a couple of other maps as well and pretty sure also in heretic.