VOGONS

First post, by mikesterthaguyy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys! Hope everybody is doing very well today! I arrive to this forum today with an issue with a Soundblaster CT4170 sound card that is in an old Germane Systems Pentium III machine I bought locally from someone for $5. It originally had Windows NT 4.0, but I put Windows 98SE on it thanks to assistance from my brother. It will be the machine where I play my old childhood games on, but right now, I cannot. Why? My sound is not working right! While the OS automatically picked up the correct driver after I powered it on at one point, I'm noticing that the sound is like, lagging very badly. That issue happens on pure Windows, but when I play a DOS game like Lemmings, 0 issues. I tried everything from trying out different drivers from the existing list, to grabbing the actual driver from the Creative website as well as on driver guide, but after trying out a few driver files, nothing is really panning out. Has anyone gotten around this problem? Is there a much better working driver I need to get? Thanks guys in advance!

Reply 2 of 3, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which Windows games did you try?
Are these games that might use a lot of bandwidth for the video card?
What video card does the system use?
Google does not supply much info specifically about the ct4170 SB16, but there were suggestions that if a game caused the video card to use a lot of bandwidth, that it would interfere with the sound card and the sound might lag or skip. The suggestion was to turn down graphics.

Then there was this, where the problem was caused by sound playback settings being set wrong (next to last post by zirian)
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f23/so … ing-465790.html

I don't really know the answer. This is what I come up with with a Google search and you may already have tried/checked these things.

Reply 3 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which motherboard are you using? Does it have an AGP slot? If your board has onboard sound, is it disabled in the BIOS and/or in Windows?
Not sure if putting the card into another slot does matter, but it's not much hassle and might fix it nontheless.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!