VOGONS

First post, by rawonam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anything like SoftMPU that can emulate Adlib (388-389h) and send data to serial port?

Some background:

I've got a laptop with only digital sound, no Adlib/MIDI (Windows Sound System (WSS) Adlib/SB16 compatibility on Zenith laptop). Trying to get music to this machine.

I bought a Panasonic KXL-D745 CD-ROM & sound card device, which is supposed to be Adlib compatible. No luck in setting it up, not sure if the device is faulty, or I just don't know how to properly set it up. The PCMCIA card is identified, but neither Adlib is visible nor SCSI CD-ROM drive. I would appreciate to hear any ideas how to make it work.

In the meanwhile, I am using SoftMPU to emulate MPU and send it to my Mac via serial port, where I'm using Munt to play MT-32 (tested with Wing Commander) or general MIDI synthesiser to play GM (works well at least with WarCraft II).

However, games can use only Adlib/SB are still mute 🙁

Any advice?

Reply 2 of 10, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rawonam wrote:

Any advice?

Do you have parallel port on your laptop ?
I'm working on a parallel port adlib card : OPL2LPT : with a real OPL2 chip :
see this demo : https://youtu.be/GbPPHvGpPEc
and this thread : OPL2LPT

I've been considering a serial port version of and OPL2 board,
but parallel port is faster, more suitable for this.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 3 of 10, by rawonam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrau wrote:

did you make use of configuration/diagnostic software that came with the device?

Yes, I installed the configuration tools and tried also to tweak it manually as described in the documents, no success.
Haven't seen any diagnostic software there in the package, maybe I try to search it.

Reply 4 of 10, by rawonam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote:
Do you have parallel port on your laptop ? I'm working on a parallel port adlib card : OPL2LPT : with a real OPL2 chip : see th […]
Show full quote
rawonam wrote:

Any advice?

Do you have parallel port on your laptop ?
I'm working on a parallel port adlib card : OPL2LPT : with a real OPL2 chip :
see this demo : https://youtu.be/GbPPHvGpPEc
and this thread : OPL2LPT

I've been considering a serial port version of and OPL2 board,
but parallel port is faster, more suitable for this.

I saw your topic, that's really cool what you are doing! Yes, I do have a parallel port, but then I also need physical hardware and you don't have any software net. If I'm able to get the the hardware and the software, it would be really nice.

I'd really love to see your software having also serial port support, I guess when everything is there isn't not difficult to add (I can also help if needed, I'm a software developer).

Though I'm not sure how compatible is Adlib/SB with MIDI, but somehow Dosbox does emulate it, maybe some code can be reused. I'm amazed how easily MT-32 and GM support works with serial connection, so I don't see why Adlib wouldn't work with the same efficiency, just a matter of putting these things together.

Reply 5 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rawonam wrote:

I bought a Panasonic KXL-D745 CD-ROM & sound card device, which is supposed to be Adlib compatible. No luck in setting it up, not sure if the device is faulty, or I just don't know how to properly set it up. The PCMCIA card is identified, but neither Adlib is visible nor SCSI CD-ROM drive. I would appreciate to hear any ideas how to make it work.

What OS are you using?
What is the card identified as?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 6 of 10, by rawonam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
rawonam wrote:

What OS are you using?
What is the card identified as?

This is what I see when card services start:
Card: KME KXLC101
Device: [Not in use]

Using DOS (and Win3.11). I am considering installing Win95 just to see if I could make it work there, to see if the device works, had no time yet.

I will also try to test it on another machine with PCMCIA.

Reply 7 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rawonam wrote:

Using DOS (and Win3.11). I am considering installing Win95 just to see if I could make it work there, to see if the device works, had no time yet.

More questions, what's in your config.sys, what does the driver output (if anything) , and what PCMCIA chipset does your laptop have?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 9 of 10, by rawonam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
rawonam wrote:

More questions, what's in your config.sys, what does the driver output (if anything) , and what PCMCIA chipset does your laptop have?

Thank you for trying to help, I'll get back with the answers later, when I have time to do it, probably during the weekend, this week was a bit too busy 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by rawonam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Do you actually have the Card and Socket Services installed? If so, which card manager are you using?

Yes, I do have these installed, the driver package that I'm using is called CardWare, not sure if it is enough to understand which card manager it is. I'll get back with more details when I have time to get my hand on the computer.