VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Say I have an Audician32 and an AWE64 in the same syatem. Audician32 line out is connected to AWE64 line in. In Win9x all is well as I can deal with the situation in multiple ways as long as I manage resources well (disable/profiles/default devices etc).

But in DOS how do I deal with this? I want to use the Yamaha alone in DOS. Do I have to install AWE64 drivers and initialize the card or would it work as a dumb passthrough if I ignore it completely? Would initializing both cards lose me extra conventional memory?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-09-20, 15:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You'd need to do the PnP setup for the AWE64 to make sure the two cards don't conflict, but if you're not using it in DOS, don't bother loading any of the AWE magic, or any TSRs, etc. The PnP setup tool shouldn't take any memory, except for while it's actually running.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jade_angel wrote:

You'd need to do the PnP setup for the AWE64 to make sure the two cards don't conflict, but if you're not using it in DOS, don't bother loading any of the AWE magic, or any TSRs, etc. The PnP setup tool shouldn't take any memory, except for while it's actually running.

AWEUTIL /S only right?

IF I DO use the AWE64 for Soundfonts and MIDI and the Audician for FM how much conventional RAM do I lose? Is it worth it?

Reply 3 of 5, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, just AWEUTIL /S should be the right thing, IIRC. (It's actually been a while since I've set one up in DOS; the last machine I built with an AWE was using Win2k, and then the board exploded, yay...) I'm not sure how much conventional RAM the other tools cost - I'd have to play with it and see.

If it turns out to be a major problem, you might look at PC DOS 2000, which has a "DOS=HIGH,UMB" option that can free up a bit more conventional RAM than is possible in MS-DOS or DR-DOS. Also, you might try 4DOS instead of COMMAND.COM (can use UMB and XMS), and some of the AWE64 utilities might be able to be loaded high. I'd have to play around with it to see, actually.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 4 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. I will probably just use a Dreamblaster X3M with the Audician's game port and not fully load the AWE64; so basically Audician32 and Dreamblaster X3M connected together, their mixes line out is routed through a pnp initialized awe64 I keep for use in Wi9x/2k on the same multiboot PC. Good plan?

Reply 5 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to do the line-out to line-in thing but bought myself a little passive mixer a while ago and haven't looked back - no more fiddling around with software mixer levels to get it perfect and having to in it 2+ cards at once.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.