VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hopefully a very simple question: some games I play in my have an option (or solely rely on) "CD Audio". I assume this means songs are streamed from the CD?

The problem is when I do this I don't hear any music. Do I need one of these cables to get "CD Audio" in games because I don't have one at the moment!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Cable-CD-ROM- … 20AAOSwpDdVCr4T

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 3, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it is a Windows game, you can also duplicate the cd to a bin/cue file and load with daemon tools, because daemon tools can playback the audio stream. That way you wouldn't need that cable.

Since I see you have an SBLive, you can try either analog or digital cd audio cable depending on what your optical drive supports, if you don't want to use daemon tools or you're going to play games in MS-DOS.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 3 of 3, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Hopefully a very simple question: some games I play in my have an option (or solely rely on) "CD Audio". I assume this means songs are streamed from the CD?

Almost correct. The game CD-ROM has multiple tracks. The first track has the file system data. Tracks 2+ are in normal CD Digital Audio format (often called red book audio). The game tells the CD-ROM drive which audio track to play and the CD-ROM outputs the sound as an analog signal -- like a normal audio CD player would.

Almoststew1990 wrote:

The problem is when I do this I don't hear any music. Do I need one of these cables to get "CD Audio" in games because I don't have one at the moment!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Cable-CD-ROM- … 20AAOSwpDdVCr4T

That cable should work. Just be sure to adjust the correct input channel via the mixer software for your sound card. Alternatively most old CD-ROM drives have a 2.5mm audio jack on the front panel. You can also get the sound from there. But if the game also has digital sound effects those will still come out of the sound card and you'll have to mix the two audio streams yourself.