VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all I have had a perfectly working Roland mt 200 in my possession for some time now that I used to use with my old GM keyboard. I have a 486 win 95 Gaming rig with a genuine SB 16 is there anyway to hook the Roland device up to the computer to use for the sound of the dos Games? There seems to be no series connections on the back of the unit besides midi in/out and line out and head phone out. I can put midi tunes from does games on disc and it plays them would be nice to use it as a sound card instead of it collecting dust.

Reply 1 of 4, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 15pin joystick port on your SB16 is also a MIDI interface. You just need a Soundblaster-MIDI cable. Shouldn't be more then $10 on ebay and the like.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 3 of 4, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vkcpolice wrote:

I can't find one of these cables it has to be a 5 din midi cable?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just re-learning how to do all of this myself. I'm pretty sure what you want is DB15 to Midi (Din5). Search for DB15 to Midi and you'll find the correct cables.

I'm getting one to see how my Roland SH-201 does playing back general midi 😀

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 4 of 4, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, I had to re-read the title of this thread a few times. This is the only other mention of a Roland MT200 on this forum aside from threads I have made about the one I own:
Re: Roland MT-200
Incorrect\hanging notes on Roland module. Defective? Fixable?

So, congratulations. That is apparently an extremely rare old Roland device. Overall, it does work for playing music from vintage games (should be similar to an original SC55), but mine had some odd hanging note quirks. Once you get yours going, if you could please check out that thread and let me know if yours exhibits any of the same problems I would really really really appreciate it. I still have mine, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't want to sell it as defective if all of the MT200s do this, but I don't want to sell it as working great if they do not. I know that it is mainly intended for use as a MIDI recording\editing station without having to use a PC, so it wouldn't surprise me if they all had problems being fed complex music from a PC. I would LOVE to know, and you're one of the few people on the planet with the means of helping me.

If you could also check the firmware version on yours it would be much appreciated!

As for what you need to get it connected to a PC, you'll need a sound card that has a 15pin gameport that is MPU401 compatible (any SB16 should work), and one of these db15 to midi cables:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLEX-5-Pin-DIN-to-DB … 58AAOSwKflZOABj

And possibly a Male to Female midi extension since the adapter above is likely not long enough:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AT-Cable-Extensio … igAAOSwa39Uwp79
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10ft-MIDI-Extension-C … UkAAOSwIgNXuJ1N

You'll be going from the MIDI "OUT" on the adapter to the MIDI AUX "IN" (if I remember correctly).

You'll also need a dual mono 1/4" jack to stereo 1/8" jack cable to go from the MT200's left and right outputs to the line-in on your soundblaster:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RadioShack-Dual-1-4-M … VQAAOSwsXFZMWE5

Once you do that, it will be fairly simple to get it working, assuming the computer is already set up and the sound card is working. Unless I'm forgetting something, you should be able to just go into the sound setup program for each of your games, tell it to use "GM", "General Midi" or MPU401, select the port (its usually 330, but you can check the setblaster command in your autoexec.bat for the exact value, labeled as "Pxxx"), then you should be good to go. You may or may not have to adjust the line-in volume of your soundblaster, but usually its sufficient to adjust the output volume on the external MIDI device.

There are also a couple of things that needed to be messed with on my MT200 to get it to hear all of the instruments from the PC... from what I remember you have to set the "Piano" switch on the back to "INT" and in the "MIDI" settings menu you'll find one that says 2-16ch, I believe it has to be set to Int (to tell the device to process and output those midi channels rather than passing them to another MIDI device).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.