VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have been absent for a real quite long time from here.

I grabed lot of things in this period, such as VP3(S7) and i855(S479) motherboards, PMMX 233 and K6-233 cpus, Roland MPU-105 Midi Selector, Sony Optical Digital Selector, Edirol SD-20,
And the Ediroal SD-90 of this topic...

Roland's drivers support is quite weird, even both SD-20 and SD-90 are listed under the same Edirol SD series, SD-20 works like a charm with Win10, driver of SD-20 will be automatically installed when plugging it in. Since the SD-20 is a MIDI "only" module without too much extra functions, it will work fine with any rig if there is a proper midi interface available.

But when it comes to SD-90, it is a shit... SD-90 has a integrated sound unit with many functions, which means I need the proper drivers to make it works perfectly. But there is no official win10 driver support, the automatically updated driver can't work at all, even the compatible win8.1 drive can't be installed in my case although I disabled the driver signature already (I don't know why)...

Besides, in the Roland official site of US, only the drivers from vista to win8.1 are available, and win9x~XP drivers can be found in Roland JP site, but THEY ARE IN JAPANESE ONLY, which means the only things u will get are bunches of unreadable text garbling due to the poor compatibilities to Asian characters of Win9x, 2k and XP. But I do wish to use SD-90 in win 9x and XP...

So, are there available official ENGLISH drivers for win 9x~XP, or any excellent modified win 10 driver for my poor Edirol SD-90?? It will be very grateful if some one can help me out of these problems.

BTW, I love the sound qualities of SD-20 and SD90, it is amazing and far more beautiful than the SC series', if u don't care its sound originality.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 2 of 7, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am getting my SD-90 in a few days so I can't verify this yet but I did some research on drivers also and found that there is someone who has a patcher to alter the Windows 8 drivers so that they work properly with Windows 10. I saw a thread on a forum somewhere else that had a lot of people using it successfully so I downloaded the patch software but I don't recall where the forum was at. You can search for it and try to find it but if I can recall where it was at I will post the link to it.

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 3 of 7, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
m5215tx wrote:

I am getting my SD-90 in a few days so I can't verify this yet but I did some research on drivers also and found that there is someone who has a patcher to alter the Windows 8 drivers so that they work properly with Windows 10. I saw a thread on a forum somewhere else that had a lot of people using it successfully so I downloaded the patch software but I don't recall where the forum was at. You can search for it and try to find it but if I can recall where it was at I will post the link to it.

Thanks, dude, highly appreciate if u can find me a better workable driver for Win10!

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 4 of 7, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

Did you actually try the drivers from the Japanese website?
They include an English readme...

Wow, have tried it already. There is English text available in the drivers! Thanks a lot, dude!

When I found those drivers, the Japanese statement on the official website says those drivers will only be functionally guaranteed in Japanese MS Windows System
----------------------------------------------------------------
●対応 OS
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition 日本語版
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional 日本語版
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 2000 Professional 日本語版
----------------------------------------------------------------

Seems I have been cheated by Roland officially.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 5 of 7, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't had problems with the drivers on English versions of XP, myself.

I had my SD-90 previously connected to a Win10 system, for which I recall having to enter Windows' Test Mode and modding an INF file in order to get the Win8.1 drivers working. I believe I still have the modded drivers somewhere; I'll have to check later.

The SD-90 can be set to use generic USB audio drivers instead in the unit's settings, but I prefer using the Roland drivers.

(unrelatedly, I've only just learnt my unit can take advantage of a firmware update.... 🤣 )

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 6 of 7, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DX7_EP wrote:

(unrelatedly, I've only just learnt my unit can take advantage of a firmware update.... 🤣 )

Just got my SD-90 and when I checked the firmware version it showed it as 1.05 so it looks like there is one newer than the 1.03 that you found.

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2