VOGONS

Reply 40 of 51, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

@Shponglefan: I guess the MU2000 can not be compared to the MU50/80. I only have the later, so I can't compare the GMega to a MU2000.

To my ears, the underlying instruments/soundset on the MU2000 and MU80 sound very similar. But the MU2000 does have a clearer, fuller sound.

I may do up some recordings of that MIDI on the Yamaha's and GMega just for comparison. I'd also be curious if your GMega sounds the same as mine. Given it is older hardware, I never really know what the true 'stock' sound should sound like.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 41 of 51, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Starting with the MU100, Yamaha replaced most of the old GM samples with new ones.
MU1000/2000 contain both sets of GM samples though.
You can switch to the old sounds by changing "MU100 Native" to "MU Basic" in the options.
But when using MU Basic, the 1000/2000 will still sound a bit better then the older modules
due to better audio hardware, especially if you are using the digital output.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 42 of 51, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote:

But when using MU Basic, the 1000/2000 will still sound a bit better then the older modules
due to better audio hardware, especially if you are using the digital output.

Similar to a comparison of an actual SC-55 with the "SC-55 Map" on later Sound Canvas units, there are enough tonal and effect differences between playback using the "MU basic" map on my MU100, and an actual earlier unit (MU50, MU15, DB50XG, SW60XG, etc.), that I find value in having both.

Reply 44 of 51, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Today a Korg 05R/W joined my collection. 😀

Do yourself a favor and check for leaking SMD electrolytics in that unit post-haste. Korg gear from that period is especially notorious for this problem. Roland gear isn't immune either - If you have an SC-88, there's a fair likelihood that leaking SMD electrolytic capacitors are actively destroying circuit-board traces.

Reply 45 of 51, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I know. Having lots of Amigas (esp. A600/1200), Macs, and other hardware, I replaced hundreds of those caps in the past. Checked the Korg already, the caps are still looking good. However, the unit seems to be broken anyway. It does not change the patches when in GM mode, making everything sound wrong. Demos won't play correctly either. Factory reset did not fix it. 🙁

Reply 47 of 51, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Yes, I know. Having lots of Amigas (esp. A600/1200), Macs, and other hardware, I replaced hundreds of those caps in the past. Checked the Korg already, the caps are still looking good. However, the unit seems to be broken anyway. It does not change the patches when in GM mode, making everything sound wrong. Demos won't play correctly either. Factory reset did not fix it. 🙁

Check the Korg website to see whether they still have the patches and whether you can reload them over MIDI.

Reply 48 of 51, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Check the Korg website to see whether they still have the patches and whether you can reload them over MIDI.

Patches can be re-loaded from ROM, but that doesn't work. The unit is faulty, already sent it back to the seller.

Another unit I'm currently playing with is a StudioCanvas SD-20. That one is quite cool when used with DOSBox. All you need is USB, no MIDI and no PSU. Sound is also of very high quality, but quite different from SC-55/88 and the like.

Reply 49 of 51, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So now I own:

• Yamaha TG-100
  • Yamaha MU50 (for sale actually, since redundant)
  • Yamaha MU80
  • Roland SC-7
  • Roland SC-55 (GS)
  • Roland SC-88 Pro
  • Kawai GMega
  • Akai SG01K
  • Edirol SD-20

Still looking for a Korg to complete my collection.

So far, I'm quite impressed by the SC-7 (size, color [fits perfect to my Schneider AT Tower], clearness of sound), the GMega and the SD-20. The latter just sounds incredible with non-game MIDIs. I'm preparing recordings for my website, so stay tuned. 😀

Reply 50 of 51, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first batch of recordings is online:

http://retro-net.de/midi/

All recordings were made using an ASUS Xonar DGX (105 dB SNR), midi module(s) set to factory defaults, and a GM reset before playback.