VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have Gateway 2000 P5-120, I tried to put GUS, LAPC-I and Azteh Soundcards in it. I tested LAPC-I first, and I discovered that it throws some fast random sounds. I got scared that it's broken, but in other computer, it works perfectly.
Is it some bios setting? Conflict with other sound card? What to do?

Reply 1 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like the computer is too fast for it.

A good number of rally old ISA cards are quite speed sensitive.

Does the motherboard have a 50Mhz FSB setting? If so, you may want to try that and see if the Pentium running at 100Mhz instead of 120Mhz helps or fixes it.

You can also try setting the multiplier to 1.5x to drop it even further.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 12, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested it with two the same games (identical files on both computers, Dune 2 and Monkey Island 1), so it is not software problem. Both computers no any sound settings.
Got a be some something in BIOS.

Reply 4 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the computer it works on?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is P120Mhz. Details are on pictures. It has primitive BIOS (Amibios 1.00.03 BS0t).
I try to plug GUS and Aztech WRP323, along LAPC-I.
https://imgur.com/a/4Fjpv

I provided options from Bios on screens. Any idea what I should change?

Reply 6 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:
It is P120Mhz. Details are on pictures. It has primitive BIOS (Amibios 1.00.03 BS0t). I try to plug GUS and Aztech WRP323, along […]
Show full quote

It is P120Mhz. Details are on pictures. It has primitive BIOS (Amibios 1.00.03 BS0t).
I try to plug GUS and Aztech WRP323, along LAPC-I.
https://imgur.com/a/4Fjpv

I provided options from Bios on screens. Any idea what I should change?

You said that you put it into another computer and it worked perfectly. What is the system that it works perfectly in?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 12, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't the LAPC-I require the -5v wire from the PSU?
My guess is that the computer throwing garbage through the LAPC-I lacks the -5v.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 8 of 12, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Beegle wrote:

Doesn't the LAPC-I require the -5v wire from the PSU?
My guess is that the computer throwing garbage through the LAPC-I lacks the -5v.

It could very well be this. I had trouble getting one particular 486 project machine and my LAPC-I to work together until I noticed the PSU in the project machine lacked -5Vdc rail. Unfortunately it happened 15 years ago so I can't remember whether that LAPC-I was completely silent or if it sounded just bugged in that project. That same LAPC-I works just fine now in my 386 (which has a PSU with -5Vdc rail).

Better check the specs of your Gateway's PSU.

Reply 9 of 12, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK the -5v is used for the amp/output part, so it's possible that the lack of -5v causes noises, but I would expect it to be silent. Do you have any I/O Recovery Time options in your BIOS? I didn't see it in your screenshots. They help with speed sensitive ISA cards. The GUS can also be speed sensitive, clicks can be heard. You don't have any issues with the GUS?

YouTube

Reply 10 of 12, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. guys, little update. The other computer does not matter in that case. I removed GUS and Aztech PRO from it - works just fine. So I guess it is a midi port conflict with GUS or SB. How to change it to work properly?

Reply 11 of 12, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it a GF1 based GUS? Check the card for jumpers that enable/disable the joystick port. Otherwise, get ultrinit 2.26a. On boot use ultrinit -dj. This will disable the joystick port and the GUS attempts to hog its resources. The Aztech Pro doesn't seem to have a jumper for joystick/MIDI, so I guess it's software based toggle.

YouTube

Reply 12 of 12, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most likely it's the Aztech that conflicts with the LAPC-I.

GUS does not have MPU-401 compatible MIDI interface without emulation, but it's MIDI port is at base+100h so if GUS baseport=230H then GUS MIDI port will be at 330H which is most likely used by Aztech and LAPC-I as well.

Disabling joystick interface disables only joystick IO port 201H decoding, it has nothing to do with enabling/disabling MIDI pins on joystick connector nor decoding MPU-401 IO addresses.