VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I got a gusmax that show an odd behavior. I disabled everything there is about cdrom, dack and drq. In the computer bios I put legacy irq and dma reservation for the gus. If I set ultrasnd=240,7,7,7,7 and run ultrinit 3.2 it say the card is initialized. If I mute and unmute the mic-in in mixer.exe I clearly hear noise added. Also playmidi.exe, openCubicPlayer and CapacaMod see the card, upload sample into ram and start playback, unfortunately there is nothing to be heard. If I cranck the volume dangerously high, I can hear activity but it dont sound like a muted mixer.

More oddity is that conscan always detect the card on the baseport but complain it cannot scan for conflict at this address. I did try 220 and 240, also change the cdrom range from 340 to 360 as I suspect it can conflict. In the setup I can test the whole megabyte of memory ok. If I test individually an DMA it will say it's ok but if I hit "test and continue", dma it might now fail. Sometime it pass, but then always fail next at dma 1 for sb emulation.

I did try the card on a computer hosting a guspnp and another computer with a gus classic. I believe the gusmax is 100% compatible to the gus and so put it at the same configuration of the classic before the swap but to no results. The gusmax is detected by ultrinit 2.31 but not 2.28, also ultramix say it could not locate an ultrasound at the port(s) specified in the environement, even though ultrinit 2.31 just initialized it beforehand.

In my haste to test the card I hope I did overlook something and it's not an hardware fault. The card is in tip top condition.

Reply 1 of 1, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay! While I was messing around with a ews64l I read something of interest about my gusmax problem :

EWS64 FAQ wrote:

First check your BIOS setting. Follow the steps listed below:
• Any interrupts to be used must be configured for use by Plug and Play devices.

It's a little bit misleading as bios say "assigned to ISA" or "No ICU" kind of crap. I so setup my bios accordingly freeing irq 7 and dma 3 from ISA reservation. Leaving irq 5 and dma 1,5 reserved for the soundblaster 1.5. GUS setup goes well everywhere, even sb emulation to my surprise (dont it use dma 1?). Case closed with happy ending and a stamp of shame 😊