VOGONS

First post, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having issues setting up my AudioPCI card in DOS. I have read the thread here -> Ensoniq / Creative AudioPCI

But unfortunately I've had no luck so far, i have tried both drivers and tried this on FreeDOS and MS-DOS. I also tried moving the card to a different PCI slot but i can't get the card detected in DOS is there something more to it i may be missing? Any help would be appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tell us what computer you're trying it in and does it work in other operating systems? It's also a good idea to clean the PCI connector of the card.

Edit: Forgot to mention, ES1370 doesn't use the same drivers as ES1371/ES1373, so be sure you got the correct one.

Last edited by Kamerat on 2017-10-15, 06:59. Edited 1 time in total.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI Sound card for Windows 3.11 & Dos 6.22?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright I've played around with things some more but still have not got anymore progress.

The card does work in Windows (tested in 98 and XP), in terms of hardware... things are probably newer than they would ideally be. Specifically a Pentium 4 @ 3.2Ghz in a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2. I do have the options in the BIOS to set a specific IRQ to a PCI slot if that helps but i don't believe that is the problem as it looks like the driver detects the card when it loads.

I tried the driver Jo22 mentioned (found here PCI Sound card for Windows 3.11 & Dos 6.22?) in DOS with Windows 3.11 (the installer wanted Windows) but the install did not detect the card and refused to install.

I have tried ES1370 drivers that i found here DOS sound with Ensoniq ES1370 PCI but when APINIT.COM was called by AUTOEXEC.BAT i got the following error message.

ENSONIQ AudioPCI Initialization Driver, Version 2.37 Copyright(c) 1996-1997, ENSONIQ Corp., All Rights Reserved […]
Show full quote

ENSONIQ AudioPCI Initialization Driver, Version 2.37
Copyright(c) 1996-1997, ENSONIQ Corp., All Rights Reserved

error: PCI device detect failed; Device not found.
AudioPCI driver NOT loading.

When i tried using the drivers from Mau1wurf1977's thread it looks like everything initializes ok as i get.

... PCI Audio @ Port a000, IRQ 9 Creating file: .\IOS.INI chunkcount 1 SFILE NM -> pcfg C:\AUDIOPCI\EAPCI8M.ECW Waves @ 0000c440 […]
Show full quote

PCI Audio @ Port a000, IRQ 9
Creating file: .\IOS.INI
chunkcount 1
SFILE NM -> pcfg C:\AUDIOPCI\EAPCI8M.ECW
Waves @ 0000c440
Output Mode is Analog
Initialization Complete.

However when i run aptest.exe i get.

- Initializing ...
error: PCI audio legacy device was not detected

If i run Wolfenstien 3D it does not detect any sound output methods except for PC speaker. So far i get the feeling its a driver issue and that i'm just doing something wrong...

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm not sure what the problem is in particular,
but here are a few ideas regarding the CMOS settings:

a) Is "PnP OS" set to "No" ?
b) Did you try to reserve IRQ5 (or IRQ7) and DMA1, DMA5 for "legacy ISA" ?
c) Is the power management disabled (APM, ACPI) ?
d) Did you try to reserve IRQ9 as "legacy ISA", too ?
e) Is the BIOS up-to-date ?
f) Did you try different PCI settings (PCI latency timer, etc) ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by Dan9550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright i had another squizz in the BIOS at first glance it looked like i had almost none of those settings however accessing the advanced BIOS settings with Ctrl + F1 i was able to set "Resources Controlled By" to Manual i was also able to then reserve IRQs I have reserved 5 and 7 and i did try reserving 9 at one point while fiddling around. Unfortunately i can't change any DMA settings i did try the PCI latency timer but that did not seem to make a difference. I could not find any settings to adjust the power management and i am on the latest BIOS version for this board. No dice so far 🙁

I have only been trying to test with Wolfentien 3D and DOOM as well as trying to run aptest.exe in the driver folder. Is there something else i have to do driver side to make this work that i may have not already done?