VOGONS

First post, by CodeFuApprentice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to find out about this for a while now, and so far with very little result, oh and i'd also searched in this forum to see if someone had asked before.
Regarding the header marked "SPDIF/12S":
Is it used for a device similar to a Creative Audigy 2 Front Panel or perhaps an expansion board that adds in TOSLINK Optical ports?
Did Turtle Beach ever release a product to use for this header? Does anyone have one of these or used one?

I'm aware that the versajack can be used for Digital output using a 3.5mm Stereo Jack to RCA Phono cable. I've used this before with a Creative Sound Blaster Extigy as the decoder. Though i remember i had to use Analog output for MIDI playback from the Yamaha DB50XG i have installed.
(Please correct me if i'm wrong, it's been a while since i've used this sound card).

AMD K6-3 400 | Gigabyte GA-5AX R4.1 | 256MB PC-100 | 20GB Quantum Fireball LMPlus | Windows 98 SE
*Alternating between: Geforce 2 MX AGP or 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. *Sound Blaster AWE-32 CT2760 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ Yamaha DB50XG.

Reply 1 of 1, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CodeFuApprentice wrote:

I'm aware that the versajack can be used for Digital output using a 3.5mm Stereo Jack to RCA Phono cable. I've used this before with a Creative Sound Blaster Extigy as the decoder. Though i remember i had to use Analog output for MIDI playback from the Yamaha DB50XG i have installed.
(Please correct me if i'm wrong, it's been a while since i've used this sound card).

You are right. I ran a Santa Cruz + Wave Blaster I back when the S.C. was released. I used digital output, but I had to flip over to analog if I wanted MIDI.

Regarding the header marked "SPDIF/12S": [...] or perhaps an expansion board that adds in TOSLINK Optical ports?

I believe that is exactly what it was used for. It was an add-on bracket that gave you those extra ports by way of the connector. I can't quite remember if it was essentially a port extender or if it had a bit of logic on it. (I should add that I never owned an expansion for it and am only going off my own memory)

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video