VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He said it was a mistake to have them listed in the first place, they were going back into their internal stock on-hand. They make ISA cards for a variety of industrial applications, and said the OPL4s were going into some designs and were not to be sold as surplus stock. Not sure what uses wavetable, but from what he said, again, it was a mistake to even list them in the first place. I originally called up to ask about the OPL-3, which is for sale, but then just inquired if they had the wavetable card in stock. That's when he said the OPL4s shouldn't be in their surplus resale stock anyways and they're not for sale.

Usually you call up these niche-places and the guys there are very willing to sell whatever they have of "useless" old stock. These lists are often 10-15 years old and the stock has been either lost, sold or disposed of.

He will email me regarding the Chip Chat MCA sound cards though, as I expressed specific interest in those if he had any really old stock. If i keep a dialogue open, he might be persuaded to release a portion of the OPL4s. If that's the case, I'll forward or give a heads up to Dreamblaster.

He had a few stories about Yamaha and he himself designing sound cards back in the 90's, so might be a resource for the future?

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 21 of 22, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dogchainx wrote:

He will email me regarding the Chip Chat MCA sound cards though, as I expressed specific interest in those if he had any really old stock. If i keep a dialogue open, he might be persuaded to release a portion of the OPL4s. If that's the case, I'll forward or give a heads up to Dreamblaster.

He had a few stories about Yamaha and he himself designing sound cards back in the 90's, so might be a resource for the future?

That is really cool. Its not too often we stumble across people who actually designed the hardware we collect. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22 of 22, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:
dogchainx wrote:

That is really cool. Its not too often we stumble across people who actually designed the hardware we collect. 😀

Its amazing who you happen upon when digging for information. I talked to one lady who managed a company that made computer TV video equipment, because I bought 8 ISA video cards that had an ET4000AX video chip on them. Interesting card with what I think is video in and video out, along with VGA, but I wanted to know what the jumpers are and any associated software. I found an old advertisement in a computer magazine for the card, search the web for any contact information from company directories and got her name, and found her on facebook. She told about the company, what happened with its downfall, the people she met. She even forwarded me information on the lead technical adviser who I hoped maybe still had access to the software for the card. Unfortunately, no replies from my email. The hunt continues. 😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/