VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be worth mentioning that this chip includes a real OPL3. Furthermore, this card (as the only one I know) even on the most modern chipsets * without * native PCI bus (eg Intel Z97) ​​under Windows 98 Sound in DOS applications play.

under Windows 98 Sound in DOS Doest it means that it working in Pure Dos (Windows 98 DOS 7 too) too? Because i have quite few cards for example Audigy and SB Live! which are working with every modern board - which is able to boot Windows 98 (for example Z97), but its not working in Pure DOS. im not sure for now about Windows 98 Dos window mode.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 21 of 28, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

775 is still safe...

Not necessarily. Socket itself doesn't determines, if sound would work in a DOS or not. You have 775 board with chipset literally taken from 478 era boards with ICH5 southbridge, which is fine. Newer 775 boards with PCIe and ICH6 southbridge are problematic, with slight chance, that Aureal Vortex would work. But because of absence of PC/PCI on actually modern boards, DOS games don't have direct access to sound hardware, and therefore its no go for sound in DOS.

appiah4 wrote:

ESS Solo-1 is great but it doesn't play nice with 'modern' boards.

It should with mine, I picked it specifically because of this comment: "ESS Solo-1 (ES1938) It works almost flawless on VIA K8T890/VT8237x based motherboards."

This soutbridge is on my board quite modern 775 board with VIA chipset, and will be testing it Windows 98 and its DOS, once I receive that sound card.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not necessarily. Socket itself doesn't determines, if sound would work in a DOS or not. You have 775 board with chipset literally taken from 478 era boards with ICH5 southbridge, which is fine. Newer 775 boards with PCIe and ICH6 southbridge are problematic, with slight chance, that Aureal Vortex would work. But because of absence of PC/PCI on actually modern boards, DOS games don't have direct access to sound hardware, and therefore its no go for sound in DOS.

¨
Yeah you are right, i forgot that there are not Intel 775 boards..

I finaly tested Audigy sound in Win 98 dosbox and sound is not playing with modern Z97 board, - Windows audio is fine, SB 16 emulation component is there.. so if it playing with Aztech sound card is good sign.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 23 of 28, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anybody confirm that Aztech PCI 168 has better compatibility with newer chipsets than ESS Solo? In my experience Aureal are not that good, Yamaha chips need Sb-Link, FM801 are decently compatible but ESS Solo are the best. CMI 8338/8738 are hit and miss.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 24 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote:

Can anybody confirm that Aztech PCI 168 has better compatibility with newer chipsets than ESS Solo? In my experience Aureal are not that good, Yamaha chips need Sb-Link, FM801 are decently compatible but ESS Solo are the best. CMI 8338/8738 are hit and miss.

I can't confirm that it's better but I can confirm they both work for me. I can also confirm that PCI 168's Azfin chip has a genuine OPL3 core.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not sure that is exactly H110 SBC and ATX system, could you add some photos and specs? ITE PCI has better change to be working, afaik you would be first who made PCI card working on such modern system in DOS.

You can try Audigy 1/2 - there is small chance, but its not working even with X58 and Z97 where ohters cards are working, ES1370 - very, very small change, ESS Solo again very small change its not working on X58 too, not even with i865 im not sure about X58 PCI chip manufactors, i865 have native one. Better change is really with Yamaha 724/744 or Aureal V1 (they are cheaper)/V2.

Reply 26 of 28, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr tibs wrote:

I have a worklog here.
Post 701324
Worse case I'll setup a boot that logs into a full screen dos box setup or something.

Link seems dead.

Reply 27 of 28, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might run into issues because the H110 chipset doesn't support subtractive decode. However on the YMF744 you can access the Sound Blaster emulation over the PCI port range instead, but then you have to configure or modify the games or use port remapping software.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 28, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fixed link: Topic 62533

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98