VOGONS

First post, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just been spending a little time comparing a CT3600 with a CT3930, trying to decide which one I will use in my "daily driver" retro machine. The main differences between these two are that the CT3930 has real OPL3 (YMF262), the CT2501 chip, and jumpers, whereas the CT3600 has CQM, the CT2502 chip, and is PnP.

I didn't expect a big difference in output, but there is -- perhaps due to the CT2501 vs 2502. The CT3930 is quite noisy -- there is an audible high pitched whine which the CT3600 doesn't have. (When testing, I had my 2.1 speakers at ~40%. It was quiet with the 3600 but as soon as I booted with the 3930 installed, I could hear the whine. With the speakers turned all the way up, the 3600 only has some hiss). When the diagnose utility it initialises the wavetable the whine disappears, but it returns again as soon as you exit the utility. The whine also stops when playing a game with general midi (aweutil /em:gm) and at least then once back in DOS it stays gone (well, temporarily I guess).

Overall the output level of the 3930 is significantly higher though, even using the same mixer settings. To achieve about the same volume, I needed the speakers turned up maybe 50% higher. Eg speakers at 60% with the 3600 matches the volume of the 3930 with speakers at 40%. (Roughly).

Fortunately, the higher output of the 3930 means the whine isn't really a problem... it's not present at what I'd call a moderate listening volume (I have my speakers on about 30%).

I only did a brief test of FM (with the intro to Leisure Suit Larry 3!), but the real OPL3 of the CT3930 does sound better to me. There's not a huge amount in it though.

Overall though, my first impression of the CT3930 was that it sounds a lot better than the CT3600, but I think this was just because of the louder output. I've read that the CT2501 chip doesn't have bass & treble control, but I didn't notice any difference (nor did the mixerset utility give an error).

So the jury is still out for me. It's just a pity the CT3930 has that whine really. (I've tried it in a different box too with the same result, and also tried two CT3930 cards).

Has anyone else compared these cards, or anyone with a CT3930 find it noisy too?

Cheers,
Stu

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got 5-pin DIN.
Roland addict and founding member of the Association Of Molex Haters

Reply 1 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really can't chime in specifically about the 3930 but i can say if you have a spare card with genuine opl, pairing the 3600 with it makes for a nice setup but on its own the fm synth is lacking.

I also find that the ct3600 is very listenable compared to most cards I've tried, and doesn't have that high pitched scream I hear from some other vibra cards. Just noise at high volume.

Just to check the obvious first.. have you made sure you're using line out and not speaker on the 3930?

Also, have you considered recapping your 3930? I did so on my ct2260 and there was quite a bit of improvement on line noise, so you may just be suffering from poor filtering due to 20+ year old caps.. just a thought.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 10, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Just to check the obvious first.. have you made sure you're using line out and not speaker on the 3930?

😊
🤣. I guess I didn't look closely enough, turns out I was using speaker out on both. Thanks for that. Using line out makes a big difference... no more whine. 😀

I also had a better look with mixerset -- I'd just used my saved settings (mixerset /p) but those don't actually include bass & treble, and I hadn't tweaked them as much on the 3600 as I thought I had (~60% each) which explains why there wasn't much difference in tone. Since those aren't important to me (will be going through a mixer anyway), that means the 3930 is the better card. Non-PnP SBs are preferable too.

Yes the FM is lacking on the 3600 but it's not terrible, at least not compared to other cards I've heard. The real OPL3 on the 3930 is better, subjectively, but I'm not sure how much better yet -- need to do more testing sometime.

Reply 4 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
InbetweenDays wrote:
*^_^* LOL. I guess I didn't look closely enough, turns out I was using speaker out on both. Thanks for that. Using line out mak […]
Show full quote
BeginnerGuy wrote:

😊
🤣. I guess I didn't look closely enough, turns out I was using speaker out on both. Thanks for that. Using line out makes a big difference... no more whine. 😀

I also had a better look with mixerset -- I'd just used my saved settings (mixerset /p) but those don't actually include bass & treble, and I hadn't tweaked them as much on the 3600 as I thought I had (~60% each) which explains why there wasn't much difference in tone. Since those aren't important to me (will be going through a mixer anyway), that means the 3930 is the better card. Non-PnP SBs are preferable too.

Yes the FM is lacking on the 3600 but it's not terrible, at least not compared to other cards I've heard. The real OPL3 on the 3930 is better, subjectively, but I'm not sure how much better yet -- need to do more testing sometime.

HA, I do that all the time too with these old cards. I always thought the 3930 would be nice to own because it has genuine OPL3 and vibra boards have really low line noise, I'm actually quite fond of some of the vibra 16s (as long as they don't squeal)

I wonder why the wikis say you can't adjust bass and treble on the SB32s? It seems to work fine on my 3600 using AWECP32 under 9x, unless that's just some software trick.

Conquests of the Longbow is one of my all time favorites, used to play it constantly and talk about any relevant lore I could find with my older brother when it came out. Even read a bunch of the books in the bibliography Roberta Williams listed as her research for the game 😎 .. Funny how such a little game could get you thinking and reading back then.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
InbetweenDays wrote:

the CT3600 has CQM, the CT2502 chip, and is PnP.

CT2502 Vibra Pro chipset is often said to be the most quiet SB16 implementation. You are now confirming it again. CT2504 Vibra 16S is OK but has some ringing problem if you pay attention to it. I don't have any CT2501 Vibra based card myself.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 10, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I wonder why the wikis say you can't adjust bass and treble on the SB32s? It seems to work fine on my 3600 using AWECP32 under 9x, unless that's just some software trick.

Seems the CT2501 doesn't support bass/treble/gain. The 3600 has the CT2502 chip, which does support them.

BeginnerGuy wrote:

Conquests of the Longbow is one of my all time favorites,...

Mine too because it was the game on which I set my best time for completing a Sierra game (8 hours of playtime), though I did set the arcade slider fairly low. Otherwise some parts were too hard -- eg scaling the tower wall IIRC. 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by InbetweenDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone. I won't be recapping any of my cards though. The CT3600 is pretty good considering I was using the speaker out, and it's only the 3930 that has the whine -- again, only with speaker out (so re the capacitors I assume it's the amp section of the board). Using line out, but cards are quiet.

Years ago I used to have a Pro Audio Spectrum 16, and that thing was noisy, even though the PAS16 was meant to be a quiet card. Not sure whether it was because it was in an EISA bus machine or not. I got a GUS after that which was nice & quiet... but still in terms of SnR, nothing compared to the AdB Multi!Wav Pro24 I had later (home studio). Now THAT was a quiet card!