VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never noticed this before but if I have the ZS as the primary sound device, you get sound but no music.
You get a split second of it when you exit the game but that's it!

At first I blamed Win2k, but same thing in Win98SE, I tried my 2 BX and 865PE chipset biased systems, exactly the same thing.
Midi plays fine, outside the game, and works fine using the onboard Yamaha on one of the BX systems or the ISA AWE cards installed in both the BX systems, its just the ZS it doesn't like.

Anyone else come across this? I wonder how far it goes back? I think I played it fine on my live? I'm not that concerned the other soundcards are better match for Doom anyway just curios.

Reply 1 of 1, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Doom95 on Windows 98SE with Audigy 2 ZS and got MIDI music playing with the VXD driver, haven't tried the WDM ones. One thing I noticed when changing volume for music in the game were that the music got very silent until a new loop or song began. For better music with the Audigy you can use the SoundFont Bank Manager to change which SoundFont to use and make sure to set the default MIDI synth to SB Audigy Synth A/B.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel