VOGONS

First post, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I play Sierra games (like Colonel's Bequest, Codename: Ice Man, SQ3, etc.) with DOSBox there is a lot of static while the music is playing and it sounds like music being played through broken speakers. It sounds very wrong. 😲 However, the little LCD message (e.g., "Insert Buckazoid") appears fine when the games are loading, though.

I'm running Windows 7 and have a Roland MT-32 rev0. I have a cable which has, on one end, two male RCA connectors plugged into the back of my Roland MT-32 and also has, on the other end, a 3.5mm stereo male connector plugged into my line-in/mic port in the back of my desktop computer. I have my speakers plugged into the line-out port (green color) in the back of my computer. I also have a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI interface plugged into my Roland MT-32 and also plugged into a USB port on my computer.

The only way I have been able to get the music to sound basically correct is by plugging the 3.5mm connector (that's on one end of the RCA connector cable) into the "Aux" port in the front of my speakers, and not in the line-in/mic port in the back of my computer. The problem with this setup is that I can't hear any other system sounds besides the Roland MT-32 MIDI music when the cable is plugged in this way; that is, when I plug something into the "Aux" port in the front of one of my speakers; it seems to prevent any other computer sound, besides the MIDI music, from being played through the speakers.

Could there something wrong in my Windows setup? I am using a "refurbished" Dell Optiplex 7010 very small form factor desktop PC that I got from some call center business that went out of business. We're not talking top-of-the-line PC here. I'm not going to say it's a piece, but I didn't exactly break the bank when I bought it. Maybe it is lacking in its sound capabilities? I had a Roland MT-32 a few years ago and it used to work great with my previous Windows 7 desktop. I think I could hear all the sounds (system sounds and digitized sounds and Roland MT-32 MIDI) all at the same time previously.

Also, and this may be an unrelated issue, but the LCD screen flashes "Exc. Buffer Overflow" when some games (like Colonel's Bequest and Codename: Ice Man) are starting.

Thank you for any help!!

Last edited by SierraGamer on 2018-02-18, 05:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I remember, old SCI0 games had an issue with some other synths (CM-64, etc) because
the engine/driver was erroneously playing other, non-MT32 tracks (AdLib ?) via MIDI.

Anyway, since you get a buffer warning, it likely is something else.
I would try to lower the DOSBox cycles to something little, say 2000 to 3000 (fixed).

Depending on the version of DOSBox, there is also a setting in dosbox.conf
where you can specify the type of MT-32 you have got.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 22, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with your MT-32. Your audio card is either set up incorrectly, or defective. Check your volume levels and settings to ensure that it is configured for Line-In.

Buffer overflow is a common issue, and more information can be found on these fora. I think that it is often speed related.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 22, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the responses.

squiggly wrote:

Did you set DosBoxes MPU401 emulation to intelligent mode?

Just went and checked. Seems like it was already set to "intelligent." Here's what is in the doscox-0.74.conf file:

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=1

Jo22 wrote:
As far as I remember, old SCI0 games had an issue with some other synths (CM-64, etc) because the engine/driver was erroneously […]
Show full quote

As far as I remember, old SCI0 games had an issue with some other synths (CM-64, etc) because
the engine/driver was erroneously playing other, non-MT32 tracks (AdLib ?) via MIDI.

Anyway, since you get a buffer warning, it likely is something else.
I would try to lower the DOSBox cycles to something little, say 2000 to 3000 (fixed).

Depending on the version of DOSBox, there is also a setting in dosbox.conf
where you can specify the type of MT-32 you have got.

I am using DOXBox .74. Do you know what the setting is in doscox-0.74.conf where you can specify the type of MT-32 you have?

fitzpatr wrote:

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with your MT-32. Your audio card is either set up incorrectly, or defective. Check your volume levels and settings to ensure that it is configured for Line-In.

Buffer overflow is a common issue, and more information can be found on these fora. I think that it is often speed related.

I changed the "cycles" setting in the doscox-0.74.conf file to "fixed 2988". Hope I did this right. I tried to put the highest number I could and still not get the "Exc. Buffer Overflow" error at startup. Here's what mine shows now:

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=fixed 2988
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

I no longer get the "Exc. Buffer Overflow" message when I start Colonel's Bequest and Codename: Iceman.

Still wasn't getting the MT-32 to play when I had the RCA connectors to 3.5mm connector cable plugged into my line-in port on the back of my computer, so I tried looking into my audio card settings. In researching how to change my audio card settings, I found a video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKu4zFccf-0) that promised to help me fix all my Windows sound problems. I did what the video told me to do; that is, I restarted my Windows Audio service and then uninstalled and reinstalled my audio driver.

Then I tried changing my mic settings, disabled the mic and re-enabled it. How do I check line-in settings?

Anyway, I don't know if I made things better or worse. Now I don't hear any game music (not even "off"-sounding music) when I have the 3.5mm stereo connector plugged into the line-in port in the back of my computer, but the game music still seems to play fine when I plug into the "Aux" port on my speaker.

Also, there's a mic port on the front of the computer, but I didn't hear anything when I plugged the 3.5mm connector into that. There's also a speaker inside the mini tower, and I tried disabling that too.

I can't believe I stayed up hours trying to get this fixed, and I might have made it worse. 😕 😕 😲 😵 😵

At least I fixed the "Exc Buffer Overflow" message, I think.

Any way to try to check to see if my audio card is defective?

Thanks again for all your help!

P.S. - One thing I noticed was that, when Codename: Iceman gave the "Exc. Buffer Overflow" message, it still seemed to play the music okay, but the bird chirping during the Tahiti scenes sounded really weird. It didn't even sound like birds. It sounded like some toy horn.

P.P.S. - One reason I want to be able to use my line-in port on my computer (and not the Aux. port on my speakers) is that I want to be able to hear digitized sound in other games at the same time as the MIDI music. I think that when I plug into the "Aux" port on my speaker it disables all sound but the MIDI game music.

Reply 5 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. You may want to have a look at Phils YT channel.
In the first video, he mentions the MT-32 at about 2:40 hours or so, 😀
The second video by another person is also interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvsaJ4h-VY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2NoXFrpzY

PS: Never use the MIC-in for line-level devices, they may take damage from it.
Not only is it meant for mono devices / devices with a different impedance,
but MIC-in also carries a phantom voltage for condenser microphones.
(Except if you are using a self-made adapter cable with a condenser or transformer in-between)

Edit: Typos fixed.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 22, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SierraGamer wrote:

Any way to try to check to see if my audio card is defective?

Try another audio source through the line-in in your sound card. If you're still getting static, then there is clearly as issue happening at the sound card side of things. It could be that it's clipping (too loud a signal) or just something wrong with the card itself.

As an alternative, you could get yourself a cheap audio mixer (like this for example: https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini … r/dp/B00102ZN40) and use that to mix the audio from your sound card and MT32 before sending it to your speakers.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 22, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvsaJ4h-VY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2NoXFrpzY […]
Show full quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvsaJ4h-VY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2NoXFrpzY

PS: Never use the MIC-in for line-level devices, they may take damage from it.
Not only is it meant for mono devices / devices with a different impedance,
but MIC-in also carries a phantom voltage for condenser microphones.
(Except if you are using a self-made adapter cable with a condenser or transformer in-between)

Thank you for this information! My computer has a combo line-in/mic jack, and I can't figure out how to select it for use as line-in vs mic.

Also, I recently purchased a SC-55 mk2 that I want hooked up to the same computer the MT-32 is hooked up to, and I think I might use a mixer in order to do that.

Shponglefan wrote:

As an alternative, you could get yourself a cheap audio mixer (like this for example: https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini … r/dp/B00102ZN40) and use that to mix the audio from your sound card and MT32 before sending it to your speakers.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try some tests to see if the audio card is defective.

Also, I like the idea of using a mixer, since I'm planning to also hook up a SC-55 mk2 at the same time. Do you think the Rolls brand mini mixer you linked to do would do as good a job as a Behringer 1002 mixer that's described here: Connecting a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 to a PC with One Sound Card

Am I wrong in thinking that such a mixer would mean I wouldn't have to use the combo line-in/mic port (or "jack"? ... don't know correct term) on my PC? From the diagram posted here (Connecting a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 to a PC with One Sound Card) it seems a mixer would let me get around the combo jack issue. How is the mixer connected to the PC? Do I connect the mixer using a cable that's plugged into the line-out on back of my PC?

Since it seems like the combo line-in/mic jack is what's giving me the problems, I was thinking id have to use an external line-in USB device like this:
https://ftaelectronics.com/usb-external-s-pdi … io-line-in.html
But using a mixer would mean this wouldn't be necessary?

Reply 8 of 22, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is your sound card? That might help us provide better solutions.

You mentioned music plays fine when connected to the Aux port of your speaker. Is that a problem solving situation, or is it not what you want?

Reply 9 of 22, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SierraGamer wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try some tests to see if the audio card is defective.

Also, I like the idea of using a mixer, since I'm planning to also hook up a SC-55 mk2 at the same time. Do you think the Rolls brand mini mixer you linked to do would do as good a job as a Behringer 1002 mixer that's described here: Connecting a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 to a PC with One Sound Card

Either should work. The difference is that something like Behringer is designed more for musical instruments and recording. Hence, you have things like microphone inputs + pre-amps, FX sends, multiple outputs for monitoring and so on. Whereas the Rolls mixer is more designed for traditional audio equipment, hence it's a lot simpler and just has basic volume control for each stereo input.

I should also mention the Rolls mixer I listed is a passive mixer (not powered and with no amp). So a lot will depend on the output level of the devices you are using and also the amp in your speakers. They do make other options, including this powered one: https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-Four-Chann … rds=rolls+mixer

Am I wrong in thinking that such a mixer would mean I wouldn't have to use the combo line-in/mic port (or "jack"? ... don't know […]
Show full quote

Am I wrong in thinking that such a mixer would mean I wouldn't have to use the combo line-in/mic port (or "jack"? ... don't know correct term) on my PC? From the diagram posted here (Connecting a Roland MT-32 and SC-55 to a PC with One Sound Card) it seems a mixer would let me get around the combo jack issue. How is the mixer connected to the PC? Do I connect the mixer using a cable that's plugged into the line-out on back of my PC?

Since it seems like the combo line-in/mic jack is what's giving me the problems, I was thinking id have to use an external line-in USB device like this:
https://ftaelectronics.com/usb-external-s-pdi … io-line-in.html
But using a mixer would mean this wouldn't be necessary?

With a mixer there wouldn't be any audio input to your soundcard/PC at all. You would route the speaker-out or line-out from your sound card to one stereo channel on the mixer, and also route the audio output from the MT-32 (or whatever other sound modules you get) to other stereo channels on the mixer. Then you connect the speaker out from the mixer to your speakers.

You likely would need to buy appropriate cables or adapters to do this. For example, audio out on typical soundcards using a 1/8" stereo jack. However, the speaker out on a mixer like the Behringer uses two mono 1/4" jacks. Conversely, things like rolls mixers use RCA connectors (both inputs and outputs).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 10 of 22, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote:

What is your sound card? That might help us provide better solutions.

You mentioned music plays fine when connected to the Aux port of your speaker. Is that a problem solving situation, or is it not what you want?

Here's what I found for my computer's audio specs:

"Realtek ALC269Q High Definition Audio Codec - Integrated on system board"

And, yep, the MIDI music plays fine when I plug in to "Aux" port in speakers, but when there's something in the "Aux" port, it will only play from the device that's plugged into the "Aux" port. When the MT-32 is plugged in to the "Aux" port, it won't play my computer's system sounds, even when I also have the speakers plugged into my computer's line-out port. This isn't a problem when I'm playing games with no digitized sound effects, but I also want to play games with voices, etc.

Shponglefan wrote:

With a mixer there wouldn't be any audio input to your soundcard/PC at all. You would route the speaker-out or line-out from your sound card to one stereo channel on the mixer, and also route the audio output from the MT-32 (or whatever other sound modules you get) to other stereo channels on the mixer. Then you connect the speaker out from the mixer to your speakers.

You likely would need to buy appropriate cables or adapters to do this. For example, audio out on typical soundcards using a 1/8" stereo jack. However, the speaker out on a mixer like the Behringer uses two mono 1/4" jacks. Conversely, things like rolls mixers use RCA connectors (both inputs and outputs).

Thanks for this very helpful info. I think I'm going to get a mixer and any necessary cables and adapters. And I like that I can simultaneously hook up my SC-55 mk2 this way.

I really like this Rolls one you linked to:
https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-Four-Chann … rds=rolls+mixer

Reply 11 of 22, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SierraGamer wrote:

Thanks for this very helpful info. I think I'm going to get a mixer and any necessary cables and adapters. And I like that I can simultaneously hook up my SC-55 mk2 this way.

An external mixer is the best solution. I used that same Rolls MX51S for a while. But it did not have enough inputs for me. I upgraded to a eight stereo input mixer. I got lucky and got it brand new for an unbeatable price.

Reply 12 of 22, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the Goat wrote:
SierraGamer wrote:

An external mixer is the best solution. I used that same Rolls MX51S for a while. But it did not have enough inputs for me. I upgraded to a eight stereo input mixer. I got lucky and got it brand new for an unbeatable price.

I want one of those. In the last month I've bought three Roland sound modules. This is so addicting. I keep seeing different modules that are supposed to work better for certain games, and I think, "I NEED that. Must buy one immediately." Hard to stop. 😲 The idea of emulation has so much less appeal to me. I need the physical units.

Reply 13 of 22, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to give an update for the benefit of anyone who might have a similar problem in the future.

I confirmed that the messed up sound was a result of using the combined mic+line-in port on my computer. The computer I was using did NOT have a separate line-in port. I believe the line-in ports on the back of computers are usually a blue color. Sorry, I don't even know if "port" in the right word. I'm talking about the hole that the jack plugs into.

It turns out that many "ultra slim" and "small" form factor computers (such as those sold by Dell) often have combined mic+line-in ports. After I switched to another computer with a separate line-in port, everything worked great.

Also, I am still planning on getting a mixer, as described above, since I want to have my multiple Roland sound modules plugged in and ready to go at the same time. I want to be able to go straight from playing, say, King's Quest 1 SCI EGA remake (with Roland MT-32 music) to Dagger of Amon Ra (with General MIDI/SC-55 music) without having to fiddle with plugging and unplugging various cables.

Another question I have is whether it is okay to stack Roland modules on top of each other. Probably a stupid question, but I don't want to squish or damage them or get them too hot. And would it okay to put one of those Eurorack mixers on top of them? I was thinking about putting padded paper underneath each unit.

Last edited by SierraGamer on 2018-02-18, 05:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 22, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SierraGamer wrote:

Another question I have is whether it is okay to stack Roland modules on top of each other. Probably a stupid question, but I don't want to squish or damage them or get them too hot. And would it okay to put one of those Eurorack mixers on top of them? I was thinking about putting padded paper underneath each unit.

What you describe is basically my current setup. I have had no issues so far. But I am hoping to get a better setup eventually.

I think my equipment stack currently has: roland cm-32l, roland mt-32, yamaha mu-1000ex, roland sc-55mkII, midi patchbay, eurorack mixer. The roland sc-88pro and korg nx5r are not currently hooked up.

Reply 15 of 22, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stacking is fine. Done it for so long now.. The trick is to make sure if a module gets hotter than others it is in a different place. Same goes for AC adapters as well, don't have hot wall warts or power supplies all on top of each other or cables getting trapped under these.

Incidentally, Dagger of Amon Ra is a MT-32 soundtrack, one of the last for it by Sierra. I made a handy guide somewhere, but it's not anywhere I can access at the moment.
Basically the tricky ones are games which have a GM driver right when or just after GM came out, but were actually MT-32:
PQ1VGA, Dagger, QFG1VGA, SQ4, Eco Quest 1.

Might have forgotten one but that is the gist. Starting with KQ6 and QFG3 the games were GM, although KQ6 has excellent MT-32 translation work (most games afterwards didn't get any).

Reply 16 of 22, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SierraGamer wrote:

And would it okay to put one of those Eurorack mixers on top of them? I was thinking about putting padded paper underneath each unit.

Do you mean a rackmount mixer? (Eurorack is usually only used in reference to modular synths. Never heard it used outside of that context, so I'm curious if it means something else?).

At any rate, you should be fine to stack all that stuff. I currently have a stack of two full-sized rack synths, plus about a dozen smaller modules stacked on top. Never had any issues.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 17 of 22, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote:
SierraGamer wrote:

And would it okay to put one of those Eurorack mixers on top of them? I was thinking about putting padded paper underneath each unit.

Do you mean a rackmount mixer? (Eurorack is usually only used in reference to modular synths. Never heard it used outside of that context, so I'm curious if it means something else?).

I think he was referring to to the mixer I linked to above: BEHRINGER EURORACK PRO RX1602

Reply 18 of 22, by SierraGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
the Goat wrote:

I think my equipment stack currently has: roland cm-32l, roland mt-32, yamaha mu-1000ex, roland sc-55mkII, midi patchbay, eurorack mixer. The roland sc-88pro and korg nx5r are not currently hooked up.

What is the advantage of using a midi patchbay? Does it make it so you only have to use one usb midi cable hooked up to your computer, even if you have multiple sound modules?

Spikey wrote:
Stacking is fine. Done it for so long now.. The trick is to make sure if a module gets hotter than others it is in a different p […]
Show full quote

Stacking is fine. Done it for so long now.. The trick is to make sure if a module gets hotter than others it is in a different place. Same goes for AC adapters as well, don't have hot wall warts or power supplies all on top of each other or cables getting trapped under these.

Incidentally, Dagger of Amon Ra is a MT-32 soundtrack, one of the last for it by Sierra. I made a handy guide somewhere, but it's not anywhere I can access at the moment.
Basically the tricky ones are games which have a GM driver right when or just after GM came out, but were actually MT-32:
PQ1VGA, Dagger, QFG1VGA, SQ4, Eco Quest 1.

Might have forgotten one but that is the gist. Starting with KQ6 and QFG3 the games were GM, although KQ6 has excellent MT-32 translation work (most games afterwards didn't get any).

Thank you for this information! I had forgotten that about Dagger. If you happen to find that guide, please share. I have found similar lists before on this and other sites and have them saved; perhaps what I've previously saved was something you had compiled. Thank you!

Yes, I'd really like to find some kind of shelf unit to put on my desk for my 2 (soon to be 3) Roland modules and the mixer I plan to buy. In the meantime I guess stacking will have to do.

the Goat wrote:
Shponglefan wrote:
SierraGamer wrote:

I think he was referring to to the mixer I linked to above: BEHRINGER EURORACK PRO RX1602

Yep, that's what I want!

I have to say that I've been very happy with my Roland MT-32 and Roland SC-55mkii purchases. They're totally worth it. I enjoy playing old games often, and the improved sound makes the whole experience WAY better.

Reply 19 of 22, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SierraGamer wrote:
the Goat wrote:

What is the advantage of using a midi patchbay? Does it make it so you only have to use one usb midi cable hooked up to your computer, even if you have multiple sound modules?

Affirmative, the patchbay can send a single MPU-401 MIDI single from the PC and sends it to all the sound modules in parallel. Then I just power on the sound module I want to use, and unmute the corresponding channel on the mixer.

Furthermore the patchbay has four inputs. So I can have multiple PC's connected (currently I have two) and choose which PC's signal goes to which sound module. All that without rearranging any cables.