VOGONS

First post, by Grub3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I got hold of this card with installed DB50XG

I understand that DB50XG is a MIDI board but what I dont understand what good it does for this Blaster?

Does it mean that it replaces physical presence of "Yamaha MU50" ? emulating all sounds/midis in this tiny card.

It that is so, how do I activate its function in DOS-games?
does it requre a drivers to work of does SB-driver provides the functionality for DB50XG?

what about having roland canvas SC55 in addition to this board, how to differ between then in Dos or game config?

Last edited by Grub3r on 2018-01-23, 18:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, it is the reverse.
The DB50XG was the very first Yamaha XG MIDI device. 😀

Generally speaking, a MIDI daughter card or WaveBlaster card connects to the WaveBlaster header on sound cards.
This header is wired to the sound card`s MPU-401. Just like the MIDI cable that connects to the game port.

No special drivers are required unless the card emulates a MPU-401.
For normal SoundBlasters on the ISA bus, no drivers are required.
(Except the configuration software like CTCM/CTCU on later SB cards)

In DOS programs, just select MPU-401 or General MIDI (on port 300 or 330, IRQ2/9).
In Windows, just install the standard MPU-401 driver.

On Windows Vista and later, you perhaps have to hunt down the nforce MPU-401 driver from nvidia,
because Microsoft dropped the standard MPU-401 driver. It should work Windows x86, at least.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to the title, you want to use it with a Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3900, right ?

Then your sound card doesn't have a waveblaster header, you need an adapter for the gameport to get the midi. But even before that, make sure your card hasn't a buggy DSP, or else you'll have stuck notes that will sound horrible.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 8, by Grub3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

According to the title, you want to use it with a Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3900, right ?

Then your sound card doesn't have a waveblaster header, you need an adapter for the gameport to get the midi. But even before that, make sure your card hasn't a buggy DSP, or else you'll have stuck notes that will sound horrible.

Yes the card is CT3900 AWE32
I already have this card with installed DB50XG daughterboard but trying to understand what the DB does and what is used for and why.

Reply 4 of 8, by Grub3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Actually, it is the reverse. The DB50XG was the very first Yamaha XG MIDI device. :) […]
Show full quote

Actually, it is the reverse.
The DB50XG was the very first Yamaha XG MIDI device. 😀

Generally speaking, a MIDI daughter card or WaveBlaster card connects to the WaveBlaster header on sound cards.
This header is wired to the sound card`s MPU-401. Just like the MIDI cable that connects to the game port.

No special drivers are required unless the card emulates a MPU-401.
For normal SoundBlasters on the ISA bus, no drivers are required.
(Except the configuration software like CTCM/CTCU on later SB cards)

In DOS programs, just select MPU-401 or General MIDI (on port 300 or 330, IRQ2/9).
In Windows, just install the standard MPU-401 driver.

On Windows Vista and later, you perhaps have to hunt down the nforce MPU-401 driver from nvidia,
because Microsoft dropped the standard MPU-401 driver. It should work Windows x86, at least.

OK, then my understanding was partially correct.
its like using external MIDI device but internally connecting it to the SB.

But what if I wanted to use SC55 with this card, and not DB50XG? then I need to change port and irqs in setup programs for f.ex. a game?
but that would not be right again, as MIDI port is same port but connections is made through midi-interface on rear of the card.
how does one configure between the two?

thanks.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grub3r wrote:

Yes, you are right.
The MPU-401 is essentially like a serial port, but for MIDI.
At least in the common, non-intelligent UART mode.

DB50XG and and the other wavetable cards are real MIDI modules,
but without any controls or displays.

Grub3r wrote:

But what if I wanted to use SC55 with this card, and not DB50XG? then I need to change port and irqs in setup programs for f.ex. a game?
but that would not be right again, as MIDI port is same port but connections is made through midi-interface on rear of the card.

Do you mean if you wanted to have the DB50XG installed on the Sound Blaster,
and at the same time wanted have the SC55 connected via the gameport of the Sound Blaster ?

That should work, I guess. But then, both MIDI devices would play at the same time,
since there is only one MPU-401 interface on the Sound Blaster..

In that situtation, it could be possible to use the sound card`s on-board audio mixer
and mute the internal MIDI audio.

In theory, at least. I have not really looked into the mixer settings of Sound Blaster cards, sorry. 🙁
I only know for sure that the mixer utility of my old SB16 CT1740 has not shown a mixer setting for MIDI.

Alternatively, you can use two sound cards in you PC.
One with the DB50XG, another one for the SC55.

One at port 330h and the other one at port 300h.
Both can be using IRQ2/9, if you do not use both MIDI ports the same time.

Since port 330h is the most compatible setting, it is recommend to use it for the MIDI device
you want to use for old games which expect a MT-32 or generic MIDI device
(both SC55/DB50XG have a simple MT-32 emulation mode).

Last, but not least, you can also install the DB50XG in an external case.
That way, you can connect it externally to a SC55 via the SC55 MIDI-through connector.
Such cases can be bought on the internet or home-made.

Some sound cards like the EWS64 XL also mounted waveblaster-compatible cards in a drive bay.
(Not sure how it was connected, though. If they had a mixer setting for MIDI at least, perhaps it would be useful for your setting)

In either case, take care of your DB50XG.
It is a rare species now, a bit like Mew from Pokemon. 😉

Grub3r wrote:

thanks.

You are welcome.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by Grub3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
Yes, you are right. The MPU-401 is essentially like a serial port, but for MIDI. At least in the common, non-intelligent UART mo […]
Show full quote
Grub3r wrote:

Yes, you are right.
The MPU-401 is essentially like a serial port, but for MIDI.
At least in the common, non-intelligent UART mode.

DB50XG and and the other wavetable cards are real MIDI modules,
but without any controls or displays.

Grub3r wrote:

Do you mean if you wanted to have the DB50XG installed on the Sound Blaster,
and at the same time wanted have the SC55 connected via the gameport of the Sound Blaster ?

That should work, I guess. But then, both MIDI devices would play at the same time,
since there is only one MPU-401 interface on the Sound Blaster..

In that situtation, it could be possible to use the sound card`s on-board audio mixer
and mute the internal MIDI audio.

In theory, at least. I have not really looked into the mixer settings of Sound Blaster cards, sorry. 🙁
I only know for sure that the mixer utility of my old SB16 CT1740 has not shown a mixer setting for MIDI.

Yes, thas was what I meant.
Having SC55(or another external MIDI device) connected to Gameport on the SB and at the same time have DB50XG board installed on the same card.

thank you for useful information and good points.
I'll try to experiment with having midi-muted as you mention.

In either case, take care of your DB50XG.
It is a rare species now, a bit like Mew from Pokemon. 😉

I will, it was very unexpected and came like a lightning from the sky when I came over this one.
Sorry, dont know much about Pokemon, not from my childhood 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by Grub3r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some hours and troubleshooting I finally got the card to make sound:)(no sfx in MSDOS)

The is no mute for MPU401 in mixerset.
So to use both external MIDI device and internal daughterboard is to switch between MIDI-IN and MIDI-through.

I must say it sounds different from Roland SC55
and I also heard it on OPL2/OPL3 mode which sounded cool
but the most amazing was the Bass output with general midi through DB50XG, Descent deserves this 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations! 😀

Grub3r wrote:

I must say it sounds different from Roland SC55 and I also heard it on OPL2/OPL3 mode which
sounded cool but the most amazing was the Bass output with general midi through DB50XG, Descent deserves this 😀

Yeah, fully I agree, Descent sounds awesome with the DB50XG!
I remember, the intro of the shareware version sounded quite haunting on the DB50XG, too.

//My video channel//