VOGONS

First post, by adhodgson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I originally posted this on Twitter and someone thought I should post it here.

Back in mid 1995 I got a SoundBlaster 16 ASP which I still have the driver disks for (including TextAssist), but not the card. When I originally used this in Windows 3.1, I had fairly good midi. It wasn't as good as the AWE32, but was better than OPL3.

Once moving to Windows 95 I never was able to get that midi playback as good sound wise, it was just the standard OPL3 sound. I even kept a Windows 3.1 installation for Midi playback.

My question is: Does anyone know why this may have happened?

Thanks.
Andrew.

Reply 2 of 3, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In order to play MIDI on a sound card like the SoundBlaster 16, you need to map the MIDI instruments to settings that the playback device (usually an OPL chip) can understand. A MIDI file can sound differently on the same hardware, depending on what software was used to play the MIDI file (and how the software maps the MIDI imstruments to OPL settings).

I can only guess that most MIDI players under Windows use the Windows API/drivers and let Windows process the MIDI events and convert it to OPL-compatible data. It is possible that the MIDI player from your SoundBlaster disks accessed the hardware directly, so it had full contol over the instrument settings, resulting in better sound quality.

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OP's referring to the Voyetra SuperSAPI drivers that were shipped on the original SB16 floppies back then (they were not compatible with Win9X nor NT). It was still OPL3 but are more complex timbres etc. Having SuperSAPI available in a more modern 32-bit form has been a white whale of many here for years.

apsosig.png
long live PCem