VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the moment my PC has the latest drivers from the Creative support site with the sbw9xup executable.

Although they're better than the ones Windows installs upon detecting the card, they sound rather wonky in DOS mode and appear uncertified in DirectX.

Are there "core drivers" I need to set up to actually make good use of the update drivers, or are there just better ones out there?

The card is a CT2230 with built in ASP.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PKFreeZZy wrote:

Although they're better than the ones Windows installs upon detecting the card, they sound rather wonky in DOS mode and appear uncertified in DirectX.

Did not the AWEs have had some sort of DirectX support ?
Perhaps their drivers are more advanced and can be used with the SB16, too.
(Speaking under correction. The AWEs had a SB16 compatibility, however.)

PKFreeZZy wrote:

Are there "core drivers" I need to set up to actually make good use of the update drivers, or are there just better ones out there?

Sorry, I do not know. In Win98SE, I almost always went with the default drivers.
In Windows 3.1, however, I used the earlier releases.
They came with the Voyetra Super SAPI drivers for the FM synth, as I later found out,
Just like my PAS16 did way back in the 90s.

PKFreeZZy wrote:

The card is a CT2230 with built in ASP.

You are lucky, we have got a review about the CT2230 here at Vogons. 😀
My Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 Review

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//