VOGONS

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I imagine patches in a DLS file are extremely bare and .PAT files could essentially provide the same exact thing, so I'm wondering... Is there a way I can turn "GM.DLS" into a full patch set? Or has anyone ever done such a thing?

I know the "Pro Patches Lite" package for GUS users has a few PAT files that sound like they were ripped from a SoundCanvas directly.

It would be mildly hilarious to hear a GUS sound just like the default Microsoft Synthesizer.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awave Studio sure does alot doesn't it? Though this "direct conversion" seems a bit rough, I know the patches have actual filenames (because OpenMPT figures that stuff out somehow) but this conversion doesn't seem to preserve that information whatsoever?

The .ini it made also seems very disorganized too.

Though I do appreciate this very much, thanks!

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 9, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Awave I see instrument names, but I wonder if that data is dropped so that it generates DOS 8.3 compatible file names. It probably needs a lot of tweaking but my retro rig is in storage at the moment so I can't try it out on hardware. I wonder how it sounds. Can you do a recording perhaps?

YouTube

Reply 4 of 9, by DumbBot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2018-01-30, 15:54:

You can convert it with Awave Studio. Not sure if it's allowed but here is a direct conversion: https://ufile.io/a1t95. Make sure you edit the paths in the ini to be correct.

Hi, sorry for bumping an old thread, but the link here is dead, does anyone have a copy of the file?

Reply 5 of 9, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Edit: Here is a version based on GM.DLS, for the earlier one I used GS.DLS that comes with QuickTime. I used the first 127 instruments and the standard drum kit, the rest has been omitted. Based on the original ULTRAMID.INI.
You need to add BLANK.PAT from the original set.

I don't have that project anymore as that conversion wasn't optimized. I will try to do a better one soon.

Attachments

• Filename
    ROLAND.zip
    File size
    3.68 MiB
    Downloads
    82 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

YouTube

Reply 6 of 9, by DumbBot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-03-02, 12:33:

Edit: Here is a version based on GM.DLS, for the earlier one I used GS.DLS that comes with QuickTime. I used the first 127 instruments and the standard drum kit, the rest has been omitted. Based on the original ULTRAMID.INI.
You need to add BLANK.PAT from the original set.

Nice, thank you!

Reply 7 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am curious how it sounds on a GUS. Could someone please post a recording of a popular MIDI track ?

I hate the sound of the Windows GS softsynth. A real Sound Canvas (physical and likely the recent Roland virtual ones too), sounds great to my ears .