VOGONS

First post, by old_MySpace

User metadata

-SNIPPED-

Last edited by old_MySpace on 2018-09-11, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is AC'97.. therefore no DOS support.

If you really want to delve into AC'97 DOS support, see these. You will be able to play CDs and Wave files, but nothing for games:
http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry … =DESC&be_page=0
http://www.georgpotthast.de/dossound/

You could also use VDMsound which should work pretty ok-ish for running DOS games from within Windows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDMSound

You can use DOSBOX to run DOS games from within Windows and that will give you sound.

Does the PCI sound blaster card work in a different computer? If so, have you tried all the different PCI slots in the computer you want to use it in? Sounds like either a resource conflict or a dead card to me.

The PCI sound blaster cards are not going to give you a optimal/very good emulation for OPL3 music in games, but sound and MIDI music should work ok.. maybe.. depends on the chipset of your motherboard.

Good PCI sound cards that support DOS are:
Anything with a Yamaha YMF7x4 chipset (watch out for relabeled CMI chipsets)
Some ESS chipsets - Solo-1 being the most popular
Some Crystal chipsets
Aureal Vortex/Vortex2

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't worry about the legacy audio setting in the BIOS. For that sound chipset I highly doubt that setting would be in any of the BIOS versions as it doesn't support DOS at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
Good PCI sound cards that support DOS are: Anything with a Yamaha YMF7x4 chipset (watch out for relabeled CMI chipsets) Some ESS […]
Show full quote

Good PCI sound cards that support DOS are:
Anything with a Yamaha YMF7x4 chipset (watch out for relabeled CMI chipsets)
Some ESS chipsets - Solo-1 being the most popular
Some Crystal chipsets
Aureal Vortex/Vortex2

I don't have much success with ESS Solo-1 and Crystal 4630 on SiS chipsets. YMF7x4 might work if your southbridge is a 962 or older, same goes for Avance Logic ALS4000.

MySpace wrote:

Thank you very much for the explanation!
I will try tomorrow the sound blaster on another computer. The fact is, in the same PCI slot that the sound blaster was in there is now a modem PCI card which is working fine.

If I manage to get that Soundblaster to work, do I need to fiddle with legacy audio thing in the bios or not? Since it's not there.

SiS 7012 don't support legacy audio as the SiS7018 did (found in 635 and 735 chipsets).

For your Live! you can try cleaning the PCI connector of the card, also try it in different PCI slots. You can also try to manually configure the IRQ of the PCI slot you're using, that's usually possible on boards with SiS chipsets.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 8, by Weebob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As others have stated try the other slots.

I had a load of audio problems with the card in the lowest slot on the board, it must share resources with something else. Moved one slot up and it was fine.

bjxhae-6.png

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If SBEINIT runs during Windows startup, you should be able to exit to DOS and use your SB PCI card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder