VOGONS

First post, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello All,

I am using an ESS AudioDrive 1868F sound card in my Presario 633 and am getting popping sounds in the music on some games. The weird thing is that I only hear it in certain tracks in certain games. It is really prevalent in Leisure Suit Larry 7 (see attachment), but I have also heard it in certain levels of Doom and Heretic.

Filename
Voice_180210_1.mp3
File size
270 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The configuration of this system is described in more detail at Crawlspace Project: Compaq Presario 633, but the gist of it is:
Compaq Presario 633
28 MB RAM (was 12 MB, still did it when it had the lower amount of memory)
100 Mhz i486 Overdrive (was 33Mhz 486 SX, still did it with the slower CPU)
4 GB Compact Flash Card
Adaptec AVA-1505 ISA SCSI controller
2x External SCSI CD-ROM
IBM 07h0849 Sound Card - ESS AudioDrive 1868F Chipset - I imagine this was pulled out of an Aptiva or something years ago.
MS-DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.1

Relevant Lines in autoexec.bat
ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:5 /D:1 /E:0 /B:330 /J:E !
ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /L:8 /W:8 /M:0 /C:8 /S:8 /A:8
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

Things I have tried. None of it has had any effect.
-Mute all inputs that I am not using.
-Disabling EMS.
-Switching to IRQ 7.
-Disabling smartdrv.

I am thinking this is a problem with the card itself rather than a config issue, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything obvious before I buy a replacement.

Is this a common problem with the 1868F/1869 cards? I went with this because these are inexpensive, supposed to have good compatibility, and don't require a TSR to be loaded once the card is initialized.

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]

Reply 1 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the same card and find that the noise on the line varies considerably with the software and what's happening elsewhere on the computer (poor EMI shielding?).

I don't know exactly what's causing the popping but I noticed in your esscfg line you have J:E, which means the CD-ROM header is using interrupt 14, which if I'm not mistaken is the primary IDE channel. Maybe change it to C, which I think is IRQ 12. Maybe also disabling the header outright would be a good idea (I don't know if your sys file has the ESS line to enable that header). Also how is the bus harmony so to speak? Have you tampered with the bus speed or have any interrupt issues with other cards on the same bus? I remember a Creative SB card flaking out on me because of the PCI bus speed and IRQ I had selected. I know that's not the same thing but I think cards can be temperamental when they share the bus with other stuff that isn't configured right or if the bus' bandwidth is taxed too much.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 2 of 7, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the response.

Something that I should have mentioned before is that the IBM 07h0849 version of this card does not have an IDE header, so nothing to worry about there as far as disabling it.

The /J option in ESSCFG enables or disables the joystick port ("e" or "d').

There isn't a whole lot connected to the IDE bus on this system. The only two cards are the sound card and the SCSI controller. I haven't messed with the bus speed, I don't believe it is possible on this machine. The only jumpers on the board are for enabling/disabling the onboard video, 25 vs. 33 Mhz bus, and SX vs. DX processor.

I thought about the bus contention issue: I kind of doubt that is the case. I have enough RAM where Doom or Heretic will load the entire level and won't be accessing the hard drive or CD-ROM on the system. It might make a bit more sense on LSL7 as it is accessing the CD-ROM drive constantly, but I only have a 2X CD-ROM drive so it would be consuming a max of 300K/s on a bus that can transfer 16M/s.

I'm thinking more that this isn't interference, but that there is actually something wrong with this particular card in how it handles playing back certain sounds or frequencies. I have heard this popping in both FM and sample playback, but only on certain tracks. The popping is actually predictable of if you listen to it, it corresponds with specific instrumentation or sound being played. This card actually sounds very clean the vast majority of the time.

I ordered a Pro AudioSpectrum 16 to mess with, I know that those can be both very good but very irradiating cards at the same time. We'll see how that goes. 😀

[Compaq Presario 633 | DOS 6.22 / Win 3.1 | DX4 100 Overdrive | 28M RAM | SB16 CT2770A | SPEA Media FX (Soundscape S2000) ]
[GA-6BXC R2.0 | Win98SE | Via C3 Ezra 866 | 384M RAM | TNT2 32M | Voodoo2 8M | SB32 CT3670 | Ensoniq Soundscape Opus]

Reply 4 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Yeah, that nuclear power cell from Mediavision always was a problem.

🤣

I'm going to assume irritating was intended there and yes they can be in my experience, but with the correct set of drivers and some effort to eliminate the hiss via the mixer they're a great option for a 486 / P1 era machine. I don't think I've heard a nicer implementation of the OPL3 and most games supported the PAS16 natively by ~1995, which means sweet stereo 16 bit sound 😎

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tenorman wrote:
Thanks for the response. […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the response.

Something that I should have mentioned before is that the IBM 07h0849 version of this card does not have an IDE header, so nothing to worry about there as far as disabling it.

The /J option in ESSCFG enables or disables the joystick port ("e" or "d').

There isn't a whole lot connected to the IDE bus on this system. The only two cards are the sound card and the SCSI controller. I haven't messed with the bus speed, I don't believe it is possible on this machine. The only jumpers on the board are for enabling/disabling the onboard video, 25 vs. 33 Mhz bus, and SX vs. DX processor.

I thought about the bus contention issue: I kind of doubt that is the case. I have enough RAM where Doom or Heretic will load the entire level and won't be accessing the hard drive or CD-ROM on the system. It might make a bit more sense on LSL7 as it is accessing the CD-ROM drive constantly, but I only have a 2X CD-ROM drive so it would be consuming a max of 300K/s on a bus that can transfer 16M/s.

I'm thinking more that this isn't interference, but that there is actually something wrong with this particular card in how it handles playing back certain sounds or frequencies. I have heard this popping in both FM and sample playback, but only on certain tracks. The popping is actually predictable of if you listen to it, it corresponds with specific instrumentation or sound being played. This card actually sounds very clean the vast majority of the time.

I ordered a Pro AudioSpectrum 16 to mess with, I know that those can be both very good but very irradiating cards at the same time. We'll see how that goes. 😀

Doe! I was thinking of the config.sys line that ALSO has a letter to dictate the IDE interrupt. That one uses A-F for this purpose... my bad.

If you think it's not related to a random phenomenon like noise or data conflicts, then maybe it's the circuitry chosen for the board. Some (cheaper) amplifiers saturate at lower voltages or have lower slew rates or their gain is obliterated at certain frequencies... that sort of thing. If the board manufacturer was cheaping out on solid state components, that could be the reason. Also, popping sounds like what happens when the voltage is interrupted going to the speaker. This could also be signal interruption inside the audio processor but speculating about that won't help you since you can't fix it... and who wants to go desoldering mosfets and amps either? Have you tried different volume levels? I'm assuming you probably mentioned this already or tried it.

Maybe what you could try is to grab an mp3 or wav file of a ramping frequency (I've seen such things around for diagnostic purposes) to see if PCM playback screws up at a certain frequency and then try the bad frequencies at low volume to see if it goes away. Similarly you could use a software midi keyboard to try ramping frequencies through the FM synth to see if any of them are bad and then lower the volume as before. Do this in a clean environment free of other overhead activities. Just a thought.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 6 of 7, by Tenorman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

irradiating / irritating... Same thing right?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it would be easiest to just grab another card with a ES1868 or ES1869 chip and see if it has the same problem. These things are pretty cheap and common. Right now the plan is to install the Pro AudioSpectrum 16 when it shows up in the mail. I'm sure I'll circle back to ESS at some point though.

Reply 7 of 7, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah some times is just better to trow some piece of hardware away, and grab new one, or different one... It is saves lot of time, as well as nerves..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088