VOGONS

First post, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Vogons!

I'm trying to get Ultima VI to work properly, but have issues with Adlib music distortion.

I have a Super Socket 7 AMD K6-400+ machine with a Sound Blaster 16 with true OPL (legacy, non-PNP). I use setmul to slow the machine down to 133MHz, and also disable L1 and L2 cache (have tried both BIOS and via setmul).

The game speed itself is fine, including PC speaker sound, however the Adlib music sounds distorted.. some of the music sounds fine, but some notes are randomly dropped, or play at strange pitch.

With the same SB16 card, but in a Pentium II-400Mhz with L1/L2 disabled, the game works fine, and the music isn't distorted, even though the CPU clock is locked at 400MHz.

I also tried "moslo" program, and it definitely slowed the game down, but did not seem to affect the MIDI distortion.

Are there any other tricks I can try to get Ultima VI to sound properly on my AMD K6 machine? My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-5AX. I know I should be playing this on older hardware, or dosbox.. but bare with me 😀

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahh there's an adlib timing patch that fixes it!

http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.php?even … eyword=official

I'll attach it for convenience.. many U6 patches lead to dead links.

Attachments

• Filename
    u6adlib.zip
    File size
    1.87 KiB
    Downloads
    80 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for posting. I was getting terrible noise in this game on my K6-3 machine last time I had it hooked up. No amount of slowing down would fix it. I was using an Aztech clone so I blamed the card, but maybe this will fix it.

Turns out I had this patch archived, but never looked there to be reminded of it.