VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
In modern internal sound cards (support more than >4.1 speakers) where has THX disappeared ?
- I tried to look for it in Creative sound blaster's home site -> internal cards but could not find it.
EAX(HD) still existed but THX seems now dropped out ?

Is it somewhere in small prints or ?
"THX" used to be in large fonts and easily readable 10 years ago...
What have I missed ?

Reply 2 of 9, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So if I buy a modern 2018 Sound Blaster card RX,Z,ZX,ZXR it will be as good as those THX cards ?
- Sound Blaster Recon3D(Basic and fatality edition) from 2012-13 has THX written even on the card not only in the package.

What would be the best choice for a sound card today ? I like those EAX,THX,3D game sound supports and such...

I have 4.1 speakers.

Reply 3 of 9, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Find Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, i have the card and is the last of the THX line up cards.
After TitaniumHD Creative did bring up the Z series and specially the ZXR, but the card have something new instead of THX, SBX Pro Studio as far as i can tell it seems the same thing in new name...

https://asia.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sou … -fi-titanium-hd

All the thing you want in one card. And the new Creative cards after the ZXR feel cheap and mid range, not a high end...
For me the moovie and music quality is far more important then the EAX or how the games sound, that is why i found Xonar Essence series to be also very good, just things happen i did have Essence ST, but i did sell my mobo, CPU and RAM, and the new one did not have PCI slot, so i did need to sell ti, and buy something on PCI ex, still the X-Fi TitaniumHD is not a bad card at all, is all in one, it can be used for old games, and the quality of sound for movies and HI-FI music is great....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 4 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

THX is strictly a certification. Whether or not a soundcard sports the THX logo is merely a question of whether the manufacturer opted to pay for the certification. Sound card technology itself hasn't changed though.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could it have something to do with Razer taking over THX in 2016, and Razer being somewhat of a competitor to Creative and such (Razer makes THX certified speaker sets, headphones, microphones and such... perhaps sound cards are in their future... or actually USB-connected speakers and headphones with built-in sound chips have already superceded sound cards)? Perhaps Razer just doesn't want to hand out THX certification to other manufacturers of PC peripherals.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 9, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ That's a good point too. In fact, I didn't realize that THX previously was also majority owned by Creative. Which probably further explains prior prevalent THX certifications on Creative Labs gear.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

THX branding was mostly sold for home theater speaker systems (creative seems to be making PC speaker systems these days).

Creative probably doesn't sell many sound cards these days since most people just use built in sound.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 9, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

THX or SBX is the same thing, so who cares....
Also when it comes to music quality, purity from what i have heard on ASUS Xonar Essence ST i think it did have better quality and purity, but it did lack the control that creative have. For example the Essence did have poor settings for movies, no control over BASS and tremble.... But for pure HI-FI i think the Xonar series with C-Media Oxygen HD chip are the winner, on all other the Creative cards TitaniumHD and ZXR....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 9 of 9, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote:

THX is strictly a certification. Whether or not a soundcard sports the THX logo is merely a question of whether the manufacturer opted to pay for the certification. Sound card technology itself hasn't changed though.

This. It was big in the late 80 and 90s, but today most people don't care all to much about it like they used to.

I think creative labs sold it to Razer.