VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today i spent more than 2 hours trying to get a gravis ultrasound max 2.1 working on a pc.

I got the drivers from here installation 4.11CD https://gona.mactar.hu/GRAVIS/#MAX
only that zip, installed and sat down just to hear the sound of this very well known soundcard.

The first pc was a 486 zida tomatoboard, and it just hanged on the IRQ and DMA setup before it writes to the autoexec.bat. Tried changing everything on the BIOS and no luck. I was able to pass only once, and after booting it hanged on trying to load the config.sys.

so i just got another motherboard, a pentium3 slot1 with ISA slots. same issue on setup it always hange thd on irq testing, changed lots of things on bios...skipped the codec irq test because it always failed, and i was finally able to boot the pc and the gravis got detected.

so i runned some commander keen....no audio, because i forgot to load the SB emulation Program. Loaded the program and got audio on commander keen, but the sound was not good. like a BETA emulation.

then i said ok lets go with something that HAS GUS support on its setup, installed DOOM1 1.9, launched it and it was nice. I compared it with videos on youtube and the sound was practically the same as other GUS cards.....except SOME TONES. For example the 2nd level Imp song has like 4 consecutive Flute tones that thsi gravis ultrasound max changes with another type of sound.

Same happens with other levels, some tones are replaced with another sound.

Are there patches for this? or the sound you get depends on the GUS model you have>?

Reply 1 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pabloz wrote:

Are there patches for this? or the sound you get depends on the GUS model you have>?

No, but it depends on the amount of memory on board. Does your Max have the full 1MB? If not, Doom maps its music to use less instruments.
Maxing out Max' memory is rather easy though - you just need a single 512kB SOJ chip from something like a PCI S3 VGA.

(And OPL emulation will always be awkward on GUS, sad but true.)

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 2 of 13, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:
No, but it depends on the amount of memory on board. Does your Max have the full 1MB? If not, Doom maps its music to use less in […]
Show full quote
Pabloz wrote:

No, but it depends on the amount of memory on board. Does your Max have the full 1MB? If not, Doom maps its music to use less instruments.
Maxing out Max' memory is rather easy though - you just need a single 512kB SOJ chip from something like a PCI S3 VGA.

(And OPL emulation will always be awkward on GUS, sad but true.)

ah what a bad luck
i got a box full of trident,s3 virge, and cirrus logic vgas
and.they all got 256k chips

can you shoot me a link from ebay? i tried searching 512 soj and there are diferent ones say dinamic and other saystatic

Reply 3 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it says something like 514256 or something similar and it fits, you're fine. These are 256k*16bit chips AFAIK. Many 1->2MB cards have two soldered plus two sockets of them.

Like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-S3-Trio64-PC … xoAAOSwySVaOywS

Reply 5 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

514256 would be 128 kbytes, since it's 4 bit x 256k. You need to look for a chip that says xx16256.

e.g. this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/323005054065

I see where you're going and I can only hope I didn't mislead Pabloz but there's a Macronix card in my hand, has a pair of 514256s and a pair of 514260s, and reports 2MiB.
This other S3 Trio64 from the same drawer has four soldered 514260s, reports 2MiB. And AFAIK there's no PCI 512k S3 Trio64 (what it would be if the chips were indeed 128k ones).
And they work in high res modes that need much more than 512kiB RAM. I'm not a big fan of these chip markings.

Reply 6 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Judging from this pic from the amoretro.de website http://www.amoretro.de/2012/06/gravis-ultraso … ax-rev-1-8.html

bimoi1.jpg

One needs a AS4C256K16 DRAM IC to reach 1MB and they are available on ebay for 8GBP here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282819934730 , that's what I would get

All pics I see on the web of MAX cards use 256kbyte/16bit DRAM chips so this means that the card is using them in 8bit mode so the capacity doubles at 512kbyte. That's my take on it.

15yu7bs.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 13, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:
I see where you're going and I can only hope I didn't mislead Pabloz but there's a Macronix card in my hand, has a pair of 51425 […]
Show full quote
derSammler wrote:

514256 would be 128 kbytes, since it's 4 bit x 256k. You need to look for a chip that says xx16256.

e.g. this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/323005054065

I see where you're going and I can only hope I didn't mislead Pabloz but there's a Macronix card in my hand, has a pair of 514256s and a pair of 514260s, and reports 2MiB.
This other S3 Trio64 from the same drawer has four soldered 514260s, reports 2MiB. And AFAIK there's no PCI 512k S3 Trio64 (what it would be if the chips were indeed 128k ones).
And they work in high res modes that need much more than 512kiB RAM. I'm not a big fan of these chip markings.

SEARCHED EVERYWHERE...this is what i found so far, per your comment the second one in the list should work? but says 256k edo

each videocard that had memory sockets and this is what i found:

diamond stealth2000 - OKI M5416258A-3J
trident - 516256J04SM6 EDO040604DEE
trident - siemens HYB514175BJ-60
SIS -ALLIANCE AS4C256K16EO-50JC
cirrus logic - HY514260B jc-60
CIRRUS LOGIC - LGS GM71C4260AJ70
S3 - sOLDERED 424210-60-G
ALLIANCE - MT4C16270DJ -6
ALLIANCE - SOLDERED AS4C256K16EO-50JC
TRIDENT - M5M4426AJ-7

Reply 8 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pabloz wrote:

CIRRUS LOGIC - LGS GM71C4260AJ70

I have this very chip in my GUS Max v2.1.

Reply 9 of 13, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Judging from this pic from the amoretro.de website http://www.amoretro.de/2012/06/gravis-ultraso … ax-rev-1-8.html

One needs a AS4C256K16 DRAM IC to reach 1MB and they are available on ebay for 8GBP here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282819934730 , that's what I would get

All pics I see on the web of MAX cards use 256kbyte/16bit DRAM chips so this means that the card is using them in 8bit mode so the capacity doubles at 512kbyte. That's my take on it.

awesome!!!

THANK YOU, I just installed one of those on my gravis and now sounds are much better, i hear the drums, the flute with the imp song.
😀

how to you recognize in DOS if the 1mb was installed? is there a command or just by hearing as it detects it automatically on gameplay

Reply 10 of 13, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pabloz wrote:

how to you recognize in DOS if the 1mb was installed? is there a command or just by hearing as it detects it automatically on gameplay

My favorite easy way is to start Impulse Tracker. It detects the sound card, including its memory and displays it right on the splash screen.

But the GUS driver pack's (that you downloaded) setup.exe can even test it.

Reply 11 of 13, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The GUS is always a difficult card to get going... Especially a MAX due to the increased resource utilization. Common practice is to remove all other devices, set the GUS up to use as few resources as possible. Recording and playback can share DMAs (and I think IRQs) if you don't intend to record on the card. Once you've got it going, put other cards back in and configure as necessary.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 12 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes either use the driver's setup to test for ram or see if the attached GUSDRAM program works for the MAX - it tests the ram fine on my Classic card

Attachments

• Filename
    GUSDRAM.zip
    File size
    9.65 KiB
    Downloads
    89 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 13, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

yes either use the driver's setup to test for ram or see if the attached GUSDRAM program works for the MAX - it tests the ram fine on my Classic card

Detects 1 MB just fine on my GUS MAX 2.1

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/