VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today someone gave me an old pc and it has a pci sound card that doesn't have brand, but it has YMF724F-V yamaha chip. Anyone has any idea if it might have decent dos compatibility and how to install drivers for it in dos?

20180219_123954.jpg
Filename
20180219_123954.jpg
File size
1.78 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide
Yamaha PCI YMF-724 DOS Compatibility Thread

It has good DOS compatibility but can be picky over what motherboard it works with. PC/PCI is the best option. Sometimes using modified drivers works.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any motherboards that do not have isa slots and have sb-link. Only motherboard with sb-link is Asus P2B, but it has ISA slots so no point in using the card with that.
Basically I would have to use it without sb-link on motherboard that doesn't have isa slots.
Any links where to download those modified drivers?

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally you have to hex edit the drivers as I believe PCI ids have to be inserted for your specific motherboard chipset. What chipset do you want to use?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

I don't have any motherboards that do not have isa slots and have sb-link. Only motherboard with sb-link is Asus P2B, but it has ISA slots so no point in using the card with that.
Basically I would have to use it without sb-link on motherboard that doesn't have isa slots.
Any links where to download those modified drivers?

Actually, yes there is. You get hardware Yamaha XG support (Final Fantasy VII and VIII support it.. possibly a few other games), real OPL3 and great SB-Pro support. The output should be a lot cleaner than most ISA cards as well.

Here is a link to my google drive with all the currently available modified drivers.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx6yUkEXCMV … NkY5RklBLWNjT1k

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Via KT800pro chipset.

You might have some luck using it with the DSDMA TSR, DDMA support for the Yamaha PCI cards seems to end with the VIA 686 southbridges.

ESS Solo-1 is a better choice for Sound Blaster compatibility on the KT800PRO

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes to PCI cards that might have some dos support my other choices at the moment are SB live value, diamond MX300 and one of those cheap cards with CMI8738 chip.

Reply 8 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both Sound Blaster Live! and the MX300 Vortex 2 should have working Sound Blaster compatibility under DOS, but both requires TSRs running in the background. The CMI8738 is only useful for FM synth or running DOS games under Windows 98.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I will still try the card that has yamaha chip if I can somehow make it work when the motherboard arrives.
I do also have Asus CUV4X which has that southbridge you mentioned, but it also has 1 isa slot for a dos sound card.