VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the last two weeks I've started a journey to trying to get dos working some sound blaster cards on a audigy 2 platinum SB0240 and a audigy 2zs SB0350 (which looks to be a dell oem that I need drivers for).

Finding a motherboard that work with these things seem to be a nightmare but my Asus CUS2L Black pearl with a intel 815 chipset looks to be working now after lots of trial and error. Could be less a nightmare if I try it now again after I got a better idea what I'm doing.

Got a Working Config on SB0240 SB Audigy 2 Platinum (PCI Slot 6 IRQ9 In bios, PNP OS=Yes) and ASUS CUS2L-BP motherboard.

Install SB_Audigy2_INSTALL.ISO with virtual clone drive (or whatever you use for virtual drives) that will install WDM drivers. It will take a long time but should install and reboot. Once Finished Install the VXD drivers (better performance for games) by going Start>Creative>Sound Blaster Audigy 2>Utility>Driver Utility Program and Install VXD, This will take a long time and then reboot. The Found new hardware will popup and select cancel on first “PCI …” items. Eventually The VXD install will install the “Creative…” Items and reboot to finish up.

Next copy sblive (or emu10dos and or possibly livedos from philscomputerlab) to root of drive c:\ and
Add the C:\SBlive\liveinit.bat file to autoexec.bat.

Once ready to play dos games Restart in MS-DOS mode. Once there go to sblive directory and run audigy12.exe (yes run the patch again). If General Midi or Adlib sounds low volume try setting Synthvol higher in ctsyn.ini. If you want I believe there is a msdos.bat that you can put the c:\sblive\audigy12.exe to load as restarting in ms-dos mode

Doing this got so far got blood working well in dos.

This will work in Real dos so far, not dos windows. Also this does not put any “Creative SB16 Emulation” in Device Manager like Audigy 1 dos drivers will.

For SB16 Dos Emulation to work make sure EMM386 is in config.sys!

My Config.sys:
Switches=/F /E
Device=C:\Window\HIGHMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=128 /TESTMEM:OFF /Q
Device=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF RAM D=256 AUTO
DOS=HIGH,UMB
BUFFERSHIGH=40,0
FILESHIGH=100
FCBS=1,0
STACKS=0,0
LASTDRIVE=Z

My Autoexec.bat:
C:\dos\ctmouse.exe
C:\SBlive\liveinit.bat

Use SBlive folder that has liveinit.bat and audigy12.exe in it. Place folder on root C:\ also note the audigy12.exe must go after the sbeinit.com line.

My Liveinit.bat shows which is located in the sblive folder:

Set Blaster=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
Set ctsyn=c:\sblive
C:\sblive\sbeinit.com

Rem --- for audigy 2 cards ---
C:\sblive\audigy12.exe

My ctsyn.ini shows:
[ctsyn.drv]
SBEnable=true
JoyEnable=FALSE
Waveset=C:\sblive\default.ecw
PCIPort=c000
PCIIRQ=9
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=7
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
JoyPort=200

[SBEINIT]
CONFIG=SBESET.CFG

[SBESET.CFG]
SBPORT=220
MPUPORT330
SBIRQ=7
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
OPLPORT=388
SBENABLE=TRUE
JOYPORT=210
JOYENABLE=FALSE
WAVESET=C:\SBLIVE\DEFAULT.ECW
PCIPORT=c000
PCIIRQ=9

[SBEMIXER]
MASTERVOLL=160
MASTERVOLR=160
WAVEVOLL=160
WAVEVOLR=160
CDVOLL=160
CDVOLR=160
SYNTHVOLL=160
SYNTHVOLR=160
MT32=-

SBECFG.exe shows in dos mode:
PCI Hardware:
Port= c000 IRQ=9

SB16 Emulation:
Port=220 IRQ=7 DMA=1,5

MPU-401 (General MIDI, Roland MT-32/LAPC-1) Emulation
Port=330

Adlib Emulation:
Port=388

GamePort:
Port=200

My last note as some people say PNP OS bios should be set off OFF. I've now tried ON and OFF and doesn't make a Difference on my Win98SE rig.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME