VOGONS

First post, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there,
I would like to ask you if i can install an 8bit isa non plug and play cards in a socket 7 233mmx motherboard.Specifically i installed a sound blaster ct 1350b but it is not shown in bios plug and play isa list.How can i use it?What about a scsi and sound card combo card ,hp pn 5063-5721?

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amijim wrote:

Hello there,
I would like to ask you if i can install an 8bit isa non plug and play cards in a socket 7 233mmx motherboard.

derSammler is right. Sure you can. just be aware that the card has an OPL2 FM chip installed, which is more speed-sensitive than an an OPL3.
In some circumstances, the data is sent too fast to the chip. Depends on the games, though. Older games included shorter delays between each OPL command.
If your hear weird sounds or if other strange things happen, simply disable the L1 cache (CPU cache) or the L2 cache (mainboard cache).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it seems that the mobo ,actually my first pc qdi titanium iiiB cannot list any of the dozen non plug and play isa cards.Tomorrow i will have a fresh win98se installation and will try to check accessibility within windows.Is there any dos software that can list a hardware installed in the pc?Any other way to check functionality of non plug and play isa cards within award 4,51 bios?

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

bad idea CT1350B + fast machine, never worked for me. Lowest I would go with a ss7 is CT1600 (aka SB PRO2)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there ,i ended up using my original first in my pc era and trusty awe64 ct4500 i had since 1997 when i built this pc along a diamond fire gl1000 pro ,a voodoo monster 3d ,a scsi adaptec 2940u and a creative dxr3 media accel.Now i can load windows 98se and have some fun with hedden and dangerous ,star wars rogue squadron and age of empires like the original days!The only problem with it is the PS_on signal yet it workls okey with the psu bridge trick.You can now turn off safely your computer.Is there a way to fix the ps on signal on the mobo?Maybe the 5+ volt usb signal mis to blame?Where should i start with the soft button mechanism?

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 7 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amijim wrote:

Well, it seems that the mobo ,actually my first pc qdi titanium iiiB cannot list any of the dozen non plug and play isa cards.

[...]

No motherboard can list non-PnP devices, that's the whole idea...

It's not difficult, just different:
- set the card's resources, using jumpers in this case ; Soundblasters are generally assumed to reside at Addr 220, IRQ 5 and DMA 1, so unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, set that.
- on a PnP motherboard set those resources to Legacy/Non-PnP in BIOS
- in DOS use the SET BLASTER variable in autoexec.bat to tell gamed where to find it, in Windows, go to Device Manager, choose Install New Hardware and when it says it can't detect anything, choose Non-PnP Device and select the card manually from the list and enter the correct resources you set earlier.

I second the advice to save this for a slower PC, years back I tried one in my slowest So5 system and was still not able to get good sound.