VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't recall where I saw it, but somewhere I saw that you can use a full-slot (16-bit) ISA sound card in a half-slot (8-bit), you just would lose any extra functionality such as CD-ROM control.

Does anyone know if this is true, or of a card someone has gotten to work this way?

I've also heard that you can use a full-slot twisted-pair ethernet adapter in a half-slot and it would still work, just slower. Is this true? or just another myth?

Reply 2 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This should work without any problems, but you are limited to lower DMA channels, lower IRQ channels, and can not use IDE/CD-ROM and 16-bit audio. As long as the driver doesn't check for those things to work (or the card uses jumpers anyway), yes, it can be done.

Ethernet cards and VGA cards are different, as they always use the full width of the bus. Many can be configured to use 8-bit only, which is required for them to work in an 8-bit slot.

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most 16-bit sound cards can work in 8-bit slots as long as they aren't cards that require 16-bit DMA; that means most SB Pro compatible cards will work in 8-bit slots EXCEPT you won't be able to use the IDE controllers and wavetable/MPU-401 which are connected to the mainboard through the 16-bit ISA bus. So yeah, just plug in an ES688 16-bit card into an 8-bit slot, configure the jumpers and enjoy.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 12, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Most 16-bit sound cards can work in 8-bit slots as long as they aren't cards that require 16-bit DMA; that means most SB Pro compatible cards will work in 8-bit slots EXCEPT you won't be able to use the IDE controllers and wavetable/MPU-401 which are connected to the mainboard through the 16-bit ISA bus. So yeah, just plug in an ES688 16-bit card into an 8-bit slot, configure the jumpers and enjoy.

cool! Thanks! I was looking at ESS cards... 1869F cards I think? Also some HP Aztech cards (quite a few on ebay at the moment, not very expensive)

Reply 6 of 12, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

wavetable/MPU-401 which are connected to the mainboard through the 16-bit ISA bus.

Wavetable/MPU-401 should work fine in 8-bit, the original MPU-401 was an 8-bit card, doesn't use DMA, and only IRQs of 7 and lower.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 7 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

Wavetable/MPU-401 should work fine in 8-bit, the original MPU-401 was an 8-bit card, doesn't use DMA, and only IRQs of 7 and lower.

I stand corrected.

Hamby wrote:

cool! Thanks! I was looking at ESS cards... 1869F cards I think? Also some HP Aztech cards (quite a few on ebay at the moment, not very expensive)

ES1869F is an ISA PnP card, I do not know if the PnP functionality requires 16-bit ISA Bus. I believe its PnP functions are also integrated to the chip so you can't really trace from the 8 or 16 bit connection to the PnP controller to double check. Going for non-PnP cards like the ES688 is a better idea. I don't recall off hand if ES1688 is PnP or not, but I know ES18xx are PnP.

Not that PnP cards won't necessarily not work, in a likely and best case scenario they will initialize regardless, but you might not be able to change their settings.

Reply 8 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YMF71x based sound cards will work in 8bit slot, you will lose DMA0, IRQ10 and 11 but rest will work.

NewMusicPlayer26.jpg

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 12, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:
YMF71x based sound cards will work in 8bit slot, you will lose DMA0, IRQ10 and 11 but rest will work. […]
Show full quote

YMF71x based sound cards will work in 8bit slot, you will lose DMA0, IRQ10 and 11 but rest will work.

NewMusicPlayer26.jpg

Hello.
What motherboard is that?!?!
And what did you add to it (daughterboards)?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 10 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

Horror.jpg

Hold on, calling my wife to look at this so she can never call my desk a mess again.

Reply 11 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hahahaha, that pic is nothing, there's "worse" every once in a while 😜

tpowell.ca wrote:

Hello.
What motherboard is that?!?!
And what did you add to it (daughterboards)?

It is a heavily modified MSI MS-6368. It started as a sort of a no-cost media center project, with goal to make it fully passive and fit in 4cm height but it has stagnated and now it is my torture and testing board due to compactness and relative power. I have overridden CPU voltage IDs to lower voltage to substatially reduce heat. CPU used is a Tualeron 1200. The little yellow board is one of those cheap VGA to TV boards that litter ebay and HDD is replaced by a cheap SD to IDE bridge.

Some progress is seen by taking this link and appending 1...28 to it (before the .jpg part of course) :
http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/NewMusicPlayer.jpg
(or you can remove the file part and go to the filedump directly and see whooooooole lot more stuff 🤣)

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote:

Really like that wooden speaker box of yours. 😁 Reminds me of my dad's.
He once had two 3-way speakers with ribbon-tweeters (hope that's the right English term).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//