VOGONS

First post, by IkeFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

here I have a Soundblaster AWE32 Rev.3 (CT2760) and a Mitsumi CRMC-FX001D double-speed CD-ROM drive and wanted to test it in DOS or Windows 98SE. The drive powers on as expected so I connected the drive to the Mitsumi interface of the sound card but I have no clue how to configure it or which driver to use. I tried the Soundblaster SBCD.SYS driver for DOS and the Mitsumi driver for dedicated interface cards (MTMCDAE.SYS) but they do not seem to work or I used the wrong port. The sound card does not have any jumpers for changing port addresses so I guess I need a configuration utility for that? Windows 98 does not show any CD-ROM interfaces at all for this sound card.

I have another proprietary CD-ROM drive (a CR-563) which is detected by the SBCD.SYS driver on the Panasonic interface of the sound card, however it only gives an error when I try to DIR the content of a CD. Not sure if it's the drive or if there is some configuration problem. I also tried this drive on a Soundblaster Pro 2 (CT1600) with Creative/MKE interface with the same mixed result.

Maybe someone has a clue how to configure the Mitsumi drive on this sound card?

Reply 1 of 2, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's likely nothing wrong with your driver setup, or the interface, or the drive electronics. SBCD.SYS is likely installing and reporting/detecting the drive ok. You may note that the drive doesn't spin up, mine didn't, but it depends on exactly where the mechanism gets stuck.

The problem in the 563 drive is mechanical. A certain gear in the laser positioning mechanism develops a stress crack and splits, making two teeth wider in spacing and they catch on the worm drive. And it needs fixing or replacing. The crack develops because it is a press-fit part (on the shaft) and the plastic becomes brittle over time and with the grease.

The following thread has a spot-on writeup on exactly what the problem is. I fixed mine and it was a simple task if you're ok with taking apart the drive.. I actually repaired the gear! So I'm quite beside myself at the moment! Woot!
matsushita cr-563-b behaviour query

Reply 2 of 2, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the Mitsumi, you need to set the interface type - is it jumpers or a setup program?

MTMCDAE.SYS is the correct driver, options are:
/D:MSCD001 (drive name given to MSCDEX)
/P:340 (default port, alt = 310, 320, 350)
/T:7 (DMA channel. alt = 6, or S for interrupt only no DMA)
/I:11 (Interrupt, alt = 3, 10)

If you can't spare interrupts or DMA, then MTMCDAS.SYS is the software polled driver