VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, i got a win98 pc with one of those ALS100 Plus ISA soundcards in it.
sound on win98 works fine, and i edited the msdos.sys in order to boot to DOS and installed the dos drivers from vogons. So pc boots and stays on DOS.

I noticed some issues, the card gets detected on boot and assigns the port irq, but the game detects at random

for example im running commander keen 5, and on the boot screen sometimes it detects the card and sometimes it does not, and says pc speaker.
This is always random, i have to exit and run it again, exit and run it again and sometimes it does say sound blaster detected and sometimes pc speaker only

then i tried commander keen 6 and the card never gets detected

then tried bio menace and sometimes it gets detected and sometimes it does not. It detects pc speaker most of the time..and it gives music! but no special fx.

i have it at:
port 220
irq 5
dma1 : 1
dma2 : unused

mpu selected
port 330
irq 10

i wonder why sometimes it detects the card and sometimes it does not in some games i have to exit and launch them 5 times to actually see the card detected.

anyone got this card? i wonder whats going on

Reply 1 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to call A3INIT.EXE in your autoexec.bat. The windows driver should take care of that adding it automatically, but I did not use the drivers from Vogons for my card, so it could be a different version. Also check that after A3INIT.EXE has been run, the BLASTER variable is set correctly (A3INIT does that).

Reply 2 of 3, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yea , i used a3init.exe
it gets loaded upon boot on the autoexec.bat

but after that i run any game and it detects it or it does not detect at start
could it be the speed of the K6 3D - 300 cpu?

for example i have to quit and run again the commander keen games like 5 times to actually see the sound blaster detected on boot.
same with bio menace.