VOGONS

RIP CT2770

Topic actions

First post, by d0ugb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hoping someone here can help. I have been trying for over a week to get this card working. Currently I have it installed in an old Dell XPS-450 (440bx), and I am able to get windows to detect the OPL3 chip as adlib compatible and the MPU-401 device with no problems. But I am unable to get the actual sound device working. I have tried manually adding it with every configuration I can think of, tried every driver I can find, and have also tried installing the card in dos 6.2 with the same results, diagnose.exe and the installer say that my card cannot be used on any of the avail resources. I have also tried this card in two other 440bx boards, as well as an older socket 7 board with a k62. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check for damage on the traces that lead from either the capacitors or amplifier chip to another point, check for cold or cracked solder points, and check for continuity of the capacitors as well since they might've dried up, plus continuity between the capacitor and the point the trace leads to.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d0ugb wrote:

Hoping someone here can help. I have been trying for over a week to get this card working. Currently I have it installed in an old Dell XPS-450 (440bx), and I am able to get windows to detect the OPL3 chip as adlib compatible and the MPU-401 device with no problems. But I am unable to get the actual sound device working. I have tried manually adding it with every configuration I can think of, tried every driver I can find, and have also tried installing the card in dos 6.2 with the same results, diagnose.exe and the installer say that my card cannot be used on any of the avail resources. I have also tried this card in two other 440bx boards, as well as an older socket 7 board with a k62. Any help would be appreciated.

What's your current jumper setup?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by d0ugb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Set to stock. All closed. I have tried all the different options as well with IOS1 and IOS2 according to this:

http://pbplanet.info/PBInfo/Jumpers/Sound%20C … R-VALUE-16.html

Reply 4 of 5, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have any other sound cards installed?
In windows 98, go into the Device Manager and, with the Top Level item selected (Your computer name), select Properties.

This should allow you to view objects by IRQ, and Base Address. Do you have IRQs free?

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eliminate as many conflicts as possible. Disable both com ports and the parallel port in BIOS (IRQ conflicts). Reserve IRQ (5 or 7) and DMA (1 and 5) assignments in BIOS. Boot into the Windows DOS environment and directly run diagnose to initialize the card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder