VOGONS

First post, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

my first post here. I am building a 286 system and trying to figure out what card I should use. I quite some different cards although when it isn't a Creative Soundblaster it starts to become more difficult to find what you want to know, especially when you are new into these.

So here it is .. seems like a nice card wit ha lot of bells and whistles, but what is it so I can find drivers for it ?

Attachments

• 2018-03-24 14.10.22.jpg
    Filename
    2018-03-24 14.10.22.jpg
    File size
    651.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi and W.O.B.!

I do not know exactly the maker and model but your card resembles a

Silicom Wavemaster 32FGP Rev 1.2 (OPTi 82C924 controller, CS4231A-KL codec, AdMOS QDSP QS700 synth-NOT PRESENT ON YOUR CARD)

When looking for drivers: early versions of Miro PCM12 cards also use this OPTI 924 with a CS4231 codec

This thread might be a good starting point:

ISA Sound Cards with Internal Wavetable

Another article mentioning the OPTi 82C941 QDSP wavetable synthesizer which your card HAS, and how to make the wavetable work:

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/do-you-know-this-sound-card/

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 2 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there 😀

I'm trying to get the same card working in Windows 98, which appears to be a mistake! It looks like the Opti 924 mostly is meant for DOS / Win3.1 / Win95.

From what I can see, your card is exactly the same as mine so there's no point posting a picture of it - It appears to be a clone of the Wavemaster 32FGP 1.2, but the Opti941 is used in place of the QS700. I have a real Wavemaster 32FGS (opti 930 instead of 924) and that has the same memory chips, so I'm pretty sure they're the same, apart from drivers.

If you can find the drivers, please post them, I need them too 😀 Otherwise, try emailing this guy?
http://www.techadvice.com/support/s/silicom/

If you're using DOS and older windows, regular opti 924 drivers from here should work:
http://files.mpoli.fi//hardware/SOUND/OTHER/

Reply 3 of 6, by SimonV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answers ... I am kind of a noob concerning using old dosboxes gaming and otherwise. I grew up with a Commodore Amiga. Now you might know that Commodore made so called bridgeboards, and in my case that's a 286 motherboard on a card that fits in an Amiga 3000T. So as you can imagine it's rather picky about stuff.

So I pulled this card and mounted a non PnP card with ESS1868F chip and that's more or less working out of the box. For now I did put this card back in my little Ebay shop as I don't see a point keeping it when having some genuine Creative Soundblasters also.

Reply 4 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see it 😀
You should put the "wavetable" in the listing title, it will sell more easily that way, because it is a wavetable card and people do like those 😀

I agree that it's probably not worth it with a 286 system and it's better to use your ESS card - I have another opti 82c924 card running the drivers from the mpoli site, which do work as well as can be expected, seems to work okay in Windows 98, but I have other cards available to use.
I'm going to have to let go of some of these cards at some point as well, I got a bundle of cards from an Italian seller, which included this card, now I have 2 maybe 3 pcs and about 10 soundcards, hmm.

Reply 5 of 6, by jaquamala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the same unknown sound card with the Opti941 wavetable and with the opti924 / cs4231a sound chips. I testet it under dos and win 95 . In Vogons driver library there is a driver package for the 924 OPTI chip especially for the pro-multimedia sound card. This driver works fine. I found out that this sound card needs -5V to run and she is very quietly.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaquamala wrote on 2022-07-11, 07:14:

I got the same unknown sound card with the Opti941 wavetable and with the opti924 / cs4231a sound chips. I testet it under dos and win 95 . In Vogons driver library there is a driver package for the 924 OPTI chip especially for the pro-multimedia sound card. This driver works fine. I found out that this sound card needs -5V to run and she is very quietly.

Nice! Dedicated OPL3-FM and rebranded Admos QDSP 700 Wavetable. Perfect fit for DOS gaming I guess.