VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote on 2024-05-09, 20:48:

Sure! I've installed it anyways of course, seems to me that Defender with Cloud enabled detects way more false positives.

Yes, it seems it's the Cloud version that detects it falsely and of course it is not the verison that MS uses on Virustotal...

MS_AV.png
Filename
MS_AV.png
File size
41.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So it is starting again. If I was not fast enough with my reporting to MS then other AV vendors that respect MS detection result take over the verdict and will flag the file as malicious.
I'm thinking that eventually I stop releasing binary versions. I'm really fed up with this antivirus nonsense that takes almost as much free time from me as development.

@Edit:
To prevent further escalation I have changed the file to the self signed version. As I said this way one more AV engine detects it as malicious (Trapmine) but it seems MS defender cloud version does not detect it falsely as a trojan anymore.
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v2.5.0

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/36e62c255 … 56788?nocache=1

@Edit2:
MS accepted the false positive report so I changed the attachment on the release page to the original exe.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2024-05-20, 11:45. Edited 3 times in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Reply 261 of 262, by Zaphod Beeblebrox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-09, 21:29:
Yes, it seems it's the Cloud version that detects it falsely and of course it is not the verison that MS uses on Virustotal... […]
Show full quote
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote on 2024-05-09, 20:48:

Sure! I've installed it anyways of course, seems to me that Defender with Cloud enabled detects way more false positives.

Yes, it seems it's the Cloud version that detects it falsely and of course it is not the verison that MS uses on Virustotal...
MS_AV.png

So it is starting again. If I was not fast enough with my reporting to MS then other AV vendors that respect MS detection result take over the verdict and will flag the file as malicious.
I'm thinking that eventually I stop releasing binary versions. I'm really fed up with this antivirus nonsense that takes almost as much free time from me as development.

Don't worry about it, MS can suck it.

"Passion, in its essence, means to suffer for what you love."

Reply 262 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VEG wrote on 2024-04-01, 14:21:

Another great update, thanks!

Does the self-signed code signing certificate actually help with anything? I doubt that it makes antivirus software happier.

I have made some experiments and the conclusive result is that Windows Defender (MS cloud protection) always respects my self-signed certificate. Some files are detected as various malwares/trojans until I sign them. The moment I sign them the same files are not detected anymore and not removed immediately.
In case of other AV engines the results are not so clear. Trapmine detects the installer exe to be malicious only when it is signed and CrowdStrike Falcon has the same tendency.
So there is no best overall solution but since Windows Defender is used much more often than e.g. Trapmine the self-signed version seems to be the better version to distribute.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi