VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote on 2023-09-08, 18:11:

Oh wow nice work! I will try this when I get home after work. I did try your previous fix and ADLplug worked great after that. I got constant hangs and crashes with OPNplug though. But I guess this fix solves the problem at its root.

Use the Mame cores in OPNplug instead of Nuked OPN2. The Mame cores are much more stable than the Nuked OPN2 implementation of this plugin.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Reply 181 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
version 1.9.0 has been released.
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v1.9.0
Virustotal result:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/74b1bd3a1 … 89f8d?nocache=1

1. Renamed vsthost32/64.exe to vstbridgeapp32/64.exe in order to fix JUCE framework plugins VST editor related problems.
2. Added support for audioMasterGetTime (fixed Genny VST).
3. Added fake audio sample rendering to config dialog. This way ADLplug's editor behaves better and changes are reflected real time. The (positive) side effect of this modification is that other plugins may also appear to be more alive at config time (e.g. displaying the proper sample rate etc.).
4. Fixed audio output problems with mono plugins (e.g. SN76489 by SocaLabs).
5. Fixed saving issue with ADLplug.
6. Removed disturbing error message about failed saving of settings when first plugin is loaded after first install.
7. Made driver silently installable (supporting /S switch of NSIS).

Reply 182 of 262, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonderful! Works great, thanks so much for digging into this and solving the problem.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 184 of 262, by linedef-5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Falcosoft, this is great and could be an easier starting point for people who want to try various Roland/Yamaha VSTs.

Feedback and possible bugs:

1. Window positions aren't saved.
  2. "Always on Top" isn't saved (main window and "activated" VST window).
  3. "Save Settings" button doesn't work ("activated" VST window).
  4. The "configure" VST window doesn't show "Always on Top" or "Save Settings". It automatically saves any VST changes, which is fine, but maybe not expected or desired.
  5. The "configure" VST window doesn't update in response to music playing, e.g. the bars that appear when parts are playing.
  6. If the "configure" VST window is open and music is played, the "activated" VST window pops up so now both are showing. Why not combine these into one window?
  7. Maybe borrow from your FSMP VST plugin window (autoload settings checkbox, load/save buttons).
  8. If I send music to the VST driver, the driver has to load the VST on demand. Unfortunately, Roland SCVA has a very slow initialization which means there is a long delay. This can even cause the sending application to momentarily freeze until the VST driver ready. For some reason, this delay also happens when unloading the VST on shut down (FSMP can shut down immediately). Would it be possible to have an option to load the VST into memory on Windows startup, and keep it active at all times?
  9. How about a "Default" entry in the sample rate drop-down list, like FSMP?
  10. I'm confused by the separate 32-bit/64-bit shortcuts since they both seem to load any VST type. What's different here compared to FSMP? And would it be possible to bring that convenience back to FSMP so only one version is needed (e.g. 64-bit FSMP for everything)?

Reply 185 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
linedef-5 wrote on 2023-09-17, 03:25:
Hi Falcosoft, this is great and could be an easier starting point for people who want to try various Roland/Yamaha VSTs. […]
Show full quote

Hi Falcosoft, this is great and could be an easier starting point for people who want to try various Roland/Yamaha VSTs.

Feedback and possible bugs:

1. Window positions aren't saved.
  2. "Always on Top" isn't saved (main window and "activated" VST window).
  3. "Save Settings" button doesn't work ("activated" VST window).
  4. The "configure" VST window doesn't show "Always on Top" or "Save Settings". It automatically saves any VST changes, which is fine, but maybe not expected or desired.
  5. The "configure" VST window doesn't update in response to music playing, e.g. the bars that appear when parts are playing.
  6. If the "configure" VST window is open and music is played, the "activated" VST window pops up so now both are showing. Why not combine these into one window?
  7. Maybe borrow from your FSMP VST plugin window (autoload settings checkbox, load/save buttons).
  8. If I send music to the VST driver, the driver has to load the VST on demand. Unfortunately, Roland SCVA has a very slow initialization which means there is a long delay. This can even cause the sending application to momentarily freeze until the VST driver ready. For some reason, this delay also happens when unloading the VST on shut down (FSMP can shut down immediately). Would it be possible to have an option to load the VST into memory on Windows startup, and keep it active at all times?
  9. How about a "Default" entry in the sample rate drop-down list, like FSMP?
  10. I'm confused by the separate 32-bit/64-bit shortcuts since they both seem to load any VST type. What's different here compared to FSMP? And would it be possible to bring that convenience back to FSMP so only one version is needed (e.g. 64-bit FSMP for everything)?

Hi,
1. Window positions saving has been already implemented and will be in the next version:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/commit … 54b0a2fab0f0c11

2. It works as intended. The whole point of always on top state is to prevent dialogs to open up behind other windows at start time. The checkbox is for turning this state off if it is disturbing after start time. So it is intended to start dialogs always in the on state.

3. It works for me in every plugin I have tried. I need more details ( 'button does not work' is not enough, at least you should tell the error/success message you got after pressing the button). Have you seen this remark in the readme?:

Be aware that it is possible that you cannot save plugin settings from the editor at runtime while you can from the configuration dialog.
It's because the configuration dialog runs with elevated administrator rights while the driver does not. So make sure to give write permission for normal 'Users' to the plugin's folder (this usually has to be done for plugins located in Program Files (x86) or Program Files).

4. It works as intended. There is no need for always on top switch on the VST editor at configurtation time. Its state depends on the main config dialog's state and always opens up in front of it since it is a modal dialog in this case (contrary the driver's VST dialog is modeless). And saving settings is automatic since it is the only purpose of the config utility. Also it has been working this way from the beginning (before this fork even existed) so changing this would be the disturbing aspect for long time VST driver users.

5. It works as intended. Have you used the original VST driver before this fork? If not, then here is a short histrory: At config time you open a VST dialog version that is totally independent from the driver. It is only for saving settings. Originally only this config time dialog existed. When you opened the driver from a Midi client there was no visible dialog. This fork added the option to display an editor dialog when the driver is active but the 2 versions are totally independent. The config version does not know anything about the state of the driver at all so it has no chance to display anything playback related.

6. Look at the answer above. It's because it's not poosible currently. The config part is totally independent from the driver. Actually the configuration part is an independent project/application that works even without the installed driver component. Its only purpose is to save settings to registry/.set file that the driver loads when it is opened by Midi client/Windows. So there is no point in opening the config utility and changing settings in config utility when the driver is active since the changes made by the config utility are not reflected in the driver's state real time.

7. Currently not planned, maybe later.

8. No, it is not possible. This is a driver not an application. The driver part can only do things that respond to Windows requests. Windows does not start the driver until a Midi client requests this and the driver has to close when Windows tells it to close itself.

9. WaveOut has no default sample rate. In FSMP WASAPI is used through Bass and Bass/WASAPI has such option (look at this thread why using Bass is problematic for a driver like this).

10. Besides WaveOut the driver now also supports ASIO output. There are ASIO drivers that are either 32-bit or 64-bit only
and 32-bit config dialog does not necessarily enumerate the same ASIO drivers as the 64-bit one and does not reflect what ASIO drivers 64-bit clients see.
(E.g. on 64-bit OS Steinberg products typically install "Low latency Generic ASIO driver" that is 64-bit only).
FSMP has no ASIO output support so there is no such problem. If you do not use ASIO then you can use either the 32-bit or the 64-bit config utility, they do the same.
An example (as you can see the same selected driver is available at different Ids on 32-vit vs. 64-bit):

asio1.png
Filename
asio1.png
File size
38.22 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

BTW, many of the above answers can be found on the Wiki page or in the release notes in more detail:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/wiki
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases

Reply 186 of 262, by linedef-5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-09-17, 07:40:

3. It works for me in every plugin I have tried. I need more details ( 'button does not work' is not enough, at least you should tell the error/success message you got after pressing the button). Have you seen this remark in the readme?:

User account has admin rights. VST is at F:\Testing\syxg50.dll. I have ownership of that file and folder. Nothing else is in the folder. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Exact steps:

1. Launch VSTi Driver Config.
2. Click "Load VSTi..." and select F:\Testing\syxg50.dll.
3. Check the box: "Show VST dialog when a port is activated".
4. Launch MIDI player (vanBasco, etc.).
5. Start a MIDI song. A window for S-YXG50 pops up.
6. Pause the MIDI player (stopping makes the S-YXG50 window close).
7. Click "Setup" on the S-YXG50 window.
8. Output level is 0 dB. Set it to -8.0 dB. Click OK.
9. Click "Save Settings" on the S-YXG50 window.
10. Close the S-YXG50 window.
11. Close the VSTi Driver window.
12. Close the MIDI player (otherwise the S-YXG50 window won't pop up later).
13. Launch VSTi Driver Config.
14. "Show VST dialog when a port is activated" is still checked.
15. Launch MIDI player.
16. Start a MIDI song. A window for S-YXG50 pops up.
17. Pause the MIDI player.
18. Click "Setup" on the S-YXG50 window.
19. Output level has reset to 0 dB.

If the S-YXG50 window is instead the one created by clicking "Configure VSTi..." and the output is changed there, then the value is correct (-8.0 dB) the next time VSTi Driver Config is launched. The syxg50.set files are identical except for the last byte: 0x65 when saving with the "activated" window vs. 0x42 when saving with the "Configure VSTi..." window.

Falcosoft wrote on 2023-09-17, 07:40:
2. It works as intended. 4. It works as intended. 5. It works as intended. 6. Look at the answer above. 8. No, it is not possibl […]
Show full quote

2. It works as intended.
4. It works as intended.
5. It works as intended.
6. Look at the answer above.
8. No, it is not possible.

Well, that's unfortunate. Thank you for the detailed answers.

Reply 187 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
linedef-5 wrote on 2023-09-18, 00:14:

User account has admin rights. VST is at F:\Testing\syxg50.dll. I have ownership of that file and folder. Nothing else is in the folder. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Exact steps:

1. Launch VSTi Driver Config.
2. Click "Load VSTi..." and select F:\Testing\syxg50.dll.
3. Check the box: "Show VST dialog when a port is activated".
4. Launch MIDI player (vanBasco, etc.).
5. Start a MIDI song. A window for S-YXG50 pops up.
6. Pause the MIDI player (stopping makes the S-YXG50 window close).
7. Click "Setup" on the S-YXG50 window.
8. Output level is 0 dB. Set it to -8.0 dB. Click OK.
9. Click "Save Settings" on the S-YXG50 window.
10. Close the S-YXG50 window.
11. Close the VSTi Driver window.
12. Close the MIDI player (otherwise the S-YXG50 window won't pop up later).
13. Launch VSTi Driver Config.
14. "Show VST dialog when a port is activated" is still checked.
15. Launch MIDI player.
16. Start a MIDI song. A window for S-YXG50 pops up.
17. Pause the MIDI player.
18. Click "Setup" on the S-YXG50 window.
19. Output level has reset to 0 dB.

If the S-YXG50 window is instead the one created by clicking "Configure VSTi..." and the output is changed there, then the value is correct (-8.0 dB) the next time VSTi Driver Config is launched. The syxg50.set files are identical except for the last byte: 0x65 when saving with the "activated" window vs. 0x42 when saving with the "Configure VSTi..." window.

Hi,
Unfortunatley I still could not reproduce the problem.
Here is a test video about the process. Do you experience the same (i.e. you get the same confirmation message after pressing the Save Settings button)?
https://youtu.be/0u7dW2MJzZo

PS:
The last byte of the .set file of S-YXG50 is the volume/gain value itself. You should check if the saving by pressing Save Setting on driver's dialog actually can change this byte at all or not.
You should also try to delete the syxg50.set file and do not open the config dialog after deleting it. Then press Save Settings from the driver's dialog and check if the syxg50.set file is re-created or not.

linedef-5 wrote on 2023-09-18, 00:14:

User account has admin rights.

On Win Vista+ (7/8/10/11) it is not enough.
Admin rights are only applied to admin accounts when you start a program with elevation. Otherwise admin accounts have normal "user" rigths (this is the point of UAC).
So what I have written in the readme still applies to admin accounts. Namely:
Make sure to give write permission for normal 'Users' to the plugin's folder.

@Edit:
To everyone:
I need feedback about how widespread this problem is. Can you test if saving from the driver initiated VST dialog is working for you if "Save Settings" button is pressed?

Reply 188 of 262, by linedef-5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the confirmation messages, I made sure "User" has full privileges, I was already renaming/moving the .set file for each window type as you describe (otherwise how would I have compared files?). None of this made a difference. The other "as intended" comments are deal breakers for me so I'll continue using FSMP. Thank you for your efforts either way.

Reply 189 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New version 1.9.1 has been released:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v1.9.1
Virustotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/1cadcf2d5 … a961ab2b33f1ef1

Not too many changes but since I have no current plan for further developments I release what is finished.
1. Added saving/restoring of window positions of VST editor dialogs.
2. Increased priority of WaveOut rendering thread.
3. Some fixes in Readme.

Reply 190 of 262, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, your VST midi driver works very well but I noticed a problem with Sound Canvas VA. Unfortunately this VSTi takes about 4 seconds to start (probably due to its invasive DRM). It seems like your driver starts the VSTi every time an application requests it and then closes it. Unfortunately, the slow startup of SCVA also slows down the startup of the application (e.g. DOSBox Staging).
Would it be possible for example to add an option to make the VSTi resident in RAM (when Windows starts) and reset the VSTi every time an application is closed (instead of terminating the VSTi)?

If this can't be resolved, no problem, I will continue to use your other program (MIDI Player).

Reply 191 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kappa971 wrote on 2023-10-04, 10:11:

Hi, your VST midi driver works very well but I noticed a problem with Sound Canvas VA. Unfortunately this VSTi takes about 4 seconds to start (probably due to its invasive DRM). It seems like your driver starts the VSTi every time an application requests it and then closes it. Unfortunately, the slow startup of SCVA also slows down the startup of the application (e.g. DOSBox Staging).
Would it be possible for example to add an option to make the VSTi resident in RAM (when Windows starts) and reset the VSTi every time an application is closed (instead of terminating the VSTi)?

If this can't be resolved, no problem, I will continue to use your other program (MIDI Player).

No, unfortunately it's an architectural limitation. Since it's a user mode driver it cannot start by itself only for requests by Windows. The same is true for stopping (not just the VSTi is closed but the driver itself as requested by Windows).

Reply 192 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New version 2.0.0 has been released:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v2.0.0
Virustotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4aedb7498 … af2d8/detection

New features/fixes:

1. Added system tray menu so port A/B editors can be opened and closed any time.
2. GM/GS/XG/GM2 reset SysEx messages can be sent from the tray menu.
3. Added special handling for SC-VA so that closing ports does not unload the plugin (fixes long loading after stop/play cycles in case of Van Basco/MidiTrail and other Midi clients that close port when playback is stopped).
4. Fixed delay when port is closed (mostly affected SC-VA).
5. Config utility also added to control panel (hardware & sound category requires Win XP+).
6. Fixed long lasting installer bugs inherited from original version/fork.
7. Fixed Midi message status check.

Reply 193 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New version 2.1.0 has been released:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v2.1.0
Virustotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8fa9bed7a … 2ace70563e04a7d

New features/fixes:

1. Made ASIO Output component optional at installation time. (https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/issues/1)
2. Added option to remove user settings when driver is uninstalled.
3. Added option to send simple reset (All Notes/Controllers off) to tray menu.
4. Added actual driver output mode (WaveOut/ASIO) to tray menu info.
5. Added support for MODM_RESET (also sent by midiOutReset).
6. Added cpl warapper (vstmididrvcfg.cpl) for Win NT4.
7. Win XP control panel item compatibility fix.
8. Check plugin's uniqueId instead of product name to identify SC-VA.
9. Fixed S-YXG50 DebugPanel mode.
10. Only 1 instance of config dialog is allowed to run (per type).

Reply 195 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VEG wrote on 2023-11-12, 18:43:

Great! What was the issue with the S-YXG50 DebugPanel mode?

Even If DebugPanel=1 was set in the [SYXG50] section of syxg50.ini file the normal VST editor dialog was shown both config time and run time.
It seems debugpanel mode requires that you query the panel dimensions by calling effEditGetRect before you initialize the editor by calling effEditOpen.

@Edit:
By debugpanel mode I mean this panel. It always worked with my Midi player (FSMP ->Bass_VST host) but never worked with this VST Driver (previous forks are/were also affected).

debug1.png
Filename
debug1.png
File size
9.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 196 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
If someone is interested I have forked the abandoned ASIO2WASAPI project on GitHub to make a private plugin for VST MIDI driver but at the same time I have also updated the main branch so some useful features added to the full ASIO driver and I have also made some important fixes. The driver now supports WASAPI shared mode besides exclusive mode and if sound card driver suppports it Windows 10+ special low latency shared mode can also be used with the driver.
So comparing e.g. to ASIO4ALL when shared mode is used you can still use other audio software even if the ASIO driver is active.

New features/fixes:
1.Fixed supported format query.
2.Fixed non modifiable 100 ms latency problem.
3.Fixed too quiet rendering in case of supported 24-bit PCM format.
4.Count of supported channels is calculated automatically.
5.Supported sample rates are calculated automatically.
6.Added support for default device. Driver can restore itself when default device or audio properties are changed in Windows.
7.Added support for WASAPI shared mode
8. Added Win10+ special low latency shared mode. (This mode needs proper drivers. Usually proprietary vendor drivers from Realtek, NVIDIA etc. do not support low latency shared mode. But generic High Definition Audio driver from Microsoft does support it on Windows 10/11.)
9. Added version info to ASIO control panel.
asio2wasapi1.png

https://github.com/Falcosoft/ASIO2WASAPI/releases

The private plugin version of ASIO2WASAPI will be included in the next release of VST Midi Driver and an option will be added to the setup dialog to use only the ASIO2WASAPI plugin and ignore other ASIO drivers on the system. This way those users who have problems with system wide ASIO drivers can also use the plugin to get WASAPI output modes.
It would be useful to get some feedback about how the full plugin is working before adding it to VST Midi Driver. Thanks in advance.
The full ASIO driver linked above works with the current VST Midi driver so the tests can be done with it.
Just click Install.exe after unzipping the package of ASIO2WASAPI and the next time you start VST Midi driver configuration utility ASIO2WASAPI should be present on the list when you select ASIO output mode (of course make sure you installed VST Midi driver with the ASIO option selected).

Reply 197 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New version 2.2.0 has been released:
https://github.com/Falcosoft/vstdriver/releases/tag/v2.2.0.1
Virustotal:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/defe0c540 … 5e69b/detection

New features/fixes:

1. Added ASIO2WASAPI plugin so low latency WASAPI modes are available for everyone on Vista+. Both exclusive and shared modes are supported as well as the Win10+ special low latency shared mode.
(Low latency shared mode requires proper drivers. Usually proprietary vendor drivers from Realtek, NVIDIA etc. do not support low latency shared mode. But generic High Definition Audio driver from Microsoft does support it on Windows 10/11.)
This one is a private plugin so it is not registered in the system. Although if you know you do not need this plugin it can be de-selected in the installer. In the installer there is also an option to use only this private plugin and ignore all other system-wide ASIO drivers. This option is useful if you have problems with your standard ASIO drivers.

2. Added handling of multiple VSTi plugins.
You are able to pre-configure up to 10 VSTi plugins in the configuration dialog and switch between the plugins at runtime with the help of the tray menu.

vstdriver_selectplugin2.png
Filename
vstdriver_selectplugin2.png
File size
31.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Ps: This change is still compatible with previous versions so you can use your current settings (you do not have to delete user settings when you uninstall the previous version). The currenttly set plugin will be placed at position 0 in the new list of 10 plugins.

3. Configuration dialog now emulates proper modal dialog behavior related to both ASIO control panels and VST editors.

4. Only supported WaveOut sample rates are listed similarly to ASIO mode.

5. Other minor fixes.

6. Updated BassAsio library (this means new SSE requirement in case of ASIO output mode).

This version still works with Windows NT4 SP6/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10/11 but on NT4 ASIO output mode is no longer available (new version of BassAsio requires SSE support).

@Edit:
If you want to use SC-VA and S-YXG50 together and switch between them at runtime you should set "Output Gain" slider to +4db in the configuration dialog and then set S-YXG50's own "Output Level" slider to about -7db. you should set SC-VA's own volume to maximum. This way you can balance out the volume difference of the plugins.

Reply 198 of 262, by Trelokk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is truly epic. Now one can switch between the two best MIDI synths for gaming pretty much on the fly without messing around with the setup panel. Not too long ago I was already happy the driver was functional again at all. Now it can pull off stunts I've never even dared to dream of. Tons of thanks!

Reply 199 of 262, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trelokk wrote on 2023-12-18, 01:38:

This is truly epic. Now one can switch between the two best MIDI synths for gaming pretty much on the fly without messing around with the setup panel. Not too long ago I was already happy the driver was functional again at all. Now it can pull off stunts I've never even dared to dream of. Tons of thanks!

Thanks, and you're welcome.
If it's not too tiresome to try I would like to get some feedback also about the new ASIO2WASAPI plugin. At least if it's working or not on your side.
Thanks in advance.