VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone mounted the Chill & Phil adapter ( https://www.serdashop.com/CHiLLandPhilAdapter ) internally? If so, how did you go about it and where did you source the parts?

I'd like to use the Chill and Phil game-port midi adapter internally on AWE64 cards. I was thinking to find a DB15 slot bracket, like this one, http://www.cwc-group.com/gameport.html , and make a ~6" DB15 ribbon cable and attach it to a connector like this, http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?sto … BSABEgIVZPD_BwE . Then connect the bracket to the sound card with this cable. You'd need a 3.5" stereo cable and preferably a jack on the bracket as well. I don't think the AWE64 has an internet sound input aside from CD Audio. This should work for the X2 and S1/2 Dreamblasters. Has anyone tried this yet? It would be nice if there was a kit from Serdashop to accomplish this.

It would also be neat to have the slot bracket with the hole at the top. Then use some kind of pin translation adapter to mount a XR385 such that it fits in the case as well.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you can use pin 3 and 8 on the MB_PRO header for audio input.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like fun, but is having a second sound card with a wavetable header on it not an option? You'd need a spare ISA or PCI slot but your solution above would probably take up a slot anyway.

I've had some luck with using an OPLSAx card as a wavetable only option, it lets you turn most of it's functionality off.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have other sound cards. I just like the idea of using one sound card (the AWE64) without having a PCB sticking out the back of a midi port.

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Sounds like fun, but is having a second sound card with a wavetable header on it not an option? You'd need a spare ISA or PCI slot but your solution above would probably take up a slot anyway.

I've had some luck with using an OPLSAx card as a wavetable only option, it lets you turn most of it's functionality off.

Same with CS423x cards. You can even disable OPL3 on them.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made an adapter years ago that is the internalized version of a midi daughterboard host. It is pictured and described in this topic:
Will this gameport/midi adapter work with wavetable cards?.
On some soundcards I soldered a small single pin header, onto which one can connect a jumper soldered to a single wire, as to route the midi signal to this DB host. Added this midi pin to an AWE64 too. Still entirely satisfied with how it works and the flexibility it offers. But since I relocated a few times it is not used much. As I have only temporary retro builds, were I tend to settle for a Dream 4MB Daughterboard plugged on an Acer Magic S23 CS4232, and be done with it.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a bit more involved. I'd really just like to be able to connect the X2 internally to a slot cover bracket. Am I the only one with a Chill and Phil who'd like to connect this inside the case, rather than outside?

Reply 7 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone sent me a PM about this recently. I should probably update the thread. Instead of mounting internally, I rotated the Chill & Phil 90 degrees and mounted it flush externally. See this thread, Rotating the Chill and Phil midi adapter for a smoother finish