VOGONS

First post, by valthonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all,

I am inheriting an old laptop that has a CS4624 audio chipset.
I would like to run DOS/Win 3.11 on this machine for late era DOS games but not sure if its possible to get this sound chip working.

I have read mix results and even if it isn't the greatest card is there any possibility in making it work?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work, but it have to be initialized first. One of the big problems of the chip is that it have trouble with FM music in stereo, so use the Adlib option instead in games where you encounter problems. What kind of laptop is it BTW?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by valthonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will have to confirm the model number, but it is an older Thinkpad T series laptop. P2 or P3, don't recall off hand.
Does the initialized mean drivers or DOS game sound configuration? Its been a very long time since I have messed around with DOS.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By initialization I mean by the utility that set the right PCI registers for Sound Blaster/legacy support. I think the same utility will load a TSR (driver) for IRQ emulation but it's really not needed if the PCI IRQ of the chip is 5 or 7. I cross my fingers for DDMA or PC/PCI support on your laptop for best game compability under DOS. 😀

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel