Best Sensaura Implementation

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: Best Sensaura Implementation

Postby Gahhhrrrlic » 2018-4-30 @ 17:22

ZanQuance wrote:Here's my sensaura/a3d dll swapper setup, the batch files are set for c:\a3d\ so just extract the files there and put the bat files on the desktop for ease of use :)
It has every Sensaura dll I could find

:exclamation:
Gahhhrrrlic

Postby Gahhhrrrlic » 2018-5-01 @ 05:29

I seem to have gotten rid of the wicked reverb in the UT opening cinematic. The 3D sounds appear to work in the game itself. Something about how it sounds is unfamiliar to me in a good way so I think it's working. The sounds are definitely quieter and a bit scratchy at times but maybe the UT version has something to do with that. I would still play in A3D compared to normal because of how well defined everything is. It definitely helps identify where things are... when you can hear them.

HL still broken. I have concluded it's the game and not the audio that's to blame. I need to patch to a higher version and check again.

Tried Thief 1, Thief 2 and System Shock demos. They all appear to use A3D but nowhere was this more obvious than in Thief 1, probably because it has a tutorial and opens in a quiet room with a dude upstairs walking circles around you - you can immediately tell it's working. I tried with my Live card and the positional sound seems to reduce to panning the volume between the left and right channels.

The Minerva utility is pretty cool but it puts a bunch of question marks next to HW 3D, as though it cannot tell if A3D is really supported. Despite this, the test suite completed with all hardware accelerated features seeming to work fine.

When I have time, I will do a proper exhaustive test of all games with their correct patches and everything. Now I'm a bit too busy to do more than screw around like I have been but even in 30 minutes I can learn quite a bit about the capabilities of this card. When my Vortex 2 arrives it will be interesting to see if it's even worth installing. I still haven't made up my mind which 2 of the 3 cards (Santa Cruz, Live, SQ2500) I want to pair for this machine but am leaning towards Live + Santa Cruz. I may ditch the live though if the SQ2500 is a better compliment for all around everything.
Gahhhrrrlic

Postby eeJay » 2018-5-01 @ 07:32

Hi Gahhhrrrlic; the link you posted doesn't seem to work.
Also, would it be possible for you to link to the Minerva tool/demo somewhere?
I've tried using the Wayback Machine to get it, but no luck ...
eeJay

Postby Gahhhrrrlic » 2018-5-01 @ 15:25

eeJay wrote:Hi Gahhhrrrlic; the link you posted doesn't seem to work.
Also, would it be possible for you to link to the Minerva tool/demo somewhere?
I've tried using the Wayback Machine to get it, but no luck ...

It was actually Zanquance's last post where the Minerva tool was included: quite a remarkable piece of diagnostic equipment. You should get his download as it pretty much makes mine redundant. He has all the combos of the drivers that are known to exist in the universe! :exclamation:
Gahhhrrrlic

Postby Gahhhrrrlic » 2018-5-17 @ 17:05

I found a very cool article that talks in detail about 3D sound technology that I thought worth sharing for anyone who's interested. One thing it does not seem to cover however is chaotic wavetracing and A3D 2.0 compatibility. It seems to call out Aureal as being the leader in this area despite its algorithms being less sophisticated. I mean this despite the obvious fact that its drivers and implementation in games is much better. Just talking about the tech itself.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/sound-technology/
Gahhhrrrlic

Postby Gahhhrrrlic » 2018-12-06 @ 06:59

ZanQuance wrote:I found the WDM drivers don't work so well, Win98 and the VXD ones are the way to go, just like with the Vortex 2. Also Chaotic Wavetracing will only work with the VXD drivers.

I thought the Santa Cruz worked rather well on XP, unlike the Vortex cards, which supposedly prefer 98 ? However based on the above comment, it sounds like only the 98 drivers give you all the features? Is there a single xp driver in existence that gives you all the features of the card? I tried 4081 but it barked at me that I had the wrong version of windows. I really want to get the full feature set from the card but I'm running XP and would be rather put out to have to reformat it with 98 just to make the sound card work as it should.
Gahhhrrrlic

Previous

Return to Sound