VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I recently got myself a GUS PnP Pro with 8 megs of RAM. Currently it's installed in my Pentium 60/Windows 95 build while I figure out what kind of a machine can host my dream multi-soundcard setup (AWE32+GUS+MusicQuest for SC-55 and MT-32).

fnOnH5Pm.jpg

So far I've been completely baffled by the way this card works. I mean it took me two nights to figure out how to set it up. The fact that the floppy disk contains the drivers but not the patch set and the CD contains the patch set and not the drivers kind of got me screaming when I finally understood it. Yeah, the installer kind of tells you what to do, but you don't really understand it if you're unfamiliar with the way GUS works in general. And the manual mentions none of this ("Windows 95 configures the card automatically" NO IT DOESN'T). There were some other things that kind of went against all my assumptions (like the fact that you don't need to install DOS drivers to make it work with Win95's DOS box). "Plug'n'Play" kind of became an evil joke at this point.

Anyways, I got the card to work. I installed the 1MB and the 4MB patchset from the official driver disk. I hear music in Doom, Dark Forces and Duke Nukem 3D. I still have several questions:

1) Tyrian setup utility says "ERROR: Ultramid driver not found" whenever I try to choose GUS. I always use this game to test sound hardware, so it kind of took me a while to understand that there is nothing wrong with the card — it's the game's fault. How do I fix this?

2) I try to switch between the patchsets, but I hear no difference in games that work at this point. Is this something like AWE32? Like if you choose Gravis in setup, you get default soundbanks, but you need to choose something like General MIDI/SoundCanvas to make it sound different? If so, why do all games hang or give me an error whenever I try to point them to a General MIDI device at 330h? Here are the full resources:

e5XPywhm.jpg

3) BTW, why does the "AMDGM_1_1_(1)" stays there even when I change between 1MB and 4MB patchsets?

4) As far as I understand, some games expect a Gravis Classic/Max/Ace card (i.e. something that is not based on GF1 chipset). PnP is compatible with that, but not out of the box? What do I need to do in these cases?

Thanks! I understand that most of my questions might be covered on a FAQ somewhere, but somehow I struggle really hard with this card. For some reason it just seems entirely counter-intuitive after a SoundBlaster 16 or any of its clones.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 2, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi and welcome to certainly one of the most frustrating cards to set up.
It really is a love-hate relationship.

For #1 Ultramid is a TSR that comes with the drivers. It preloads the patches and provides a sort of interface for games to use. Without the TSR loaded, it won't work.

#2 DOS games use different patches from Windows, so in DOS, you'll be using the contents of the patches directory (*.pat). The can be changed, but there isn't much of a selection of alternatives, and cannot be replaced with windows patches.
Others on this board most likely have better information on this.
Don't confuse this with General Midi on port 330h.

#3 That patchset is in your device ROM and cannot be changed without physically replacing a chip on the card.

#4 The cards you listed are specifically GF1 cards. The interwave card is what you have and is close to 100% compatible if you have RAM on the card, which you do. Ideally, 1024kb and you'll have full support.
Keep in mind that most games only support the gf1 cards and therefore also their limitations (1mb max, 44khz at 14ch or less IIRC).

Good luck

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 2, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installing the original UltraSound patch set is one of the first things you should do when setting up one of these cards. Borrowing from my post in another thread:

640K!enough wrote:

The 5.6 MiB .PAT set is the original UltraSound 16-bit patch set. It is available on the GUS PnP installation CD as SETRAM.EXE (in the SETUP sub-directory, I think). It belongs in the MIDI sub-directory of your installation (so \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI) by default, and will be used when you install software that has GF1 support.

You can get other .PAT instrument sets, like Pro Patches Lite (a.k.a. PPLT) or Pro Patches 3.0 from other sources, but finding complete bundles without corruption can be a challenge.

Once the installation utility finishes its work, check in \GRAVIS\ULTRASND\MIDI to be sure you have a collection of .PAT files.

With the patches installed, you can worry about UltraMID. UltraMID is a memory-resident application (a.k.a. a TSR) that allows application developers to add support for the UltraSound line without having to significantly change their existing code. On an InterWave board, you can load this in one of two ways: use Mega-Em or get the old UltraMID TSR from the installation bundle for an older Gravis card. Mega-Em requires EMM386, and will try to use the instruments from the on-board ROM (and usually does it somewhat badly). The older TSR will use the collection of .PAT files that I just recommended for installation.

As already explained, AMDGM_1_1_ is contained in the ROM of your card and cannot easily be replaced. You can load RAM-based patch sets, but not all software that specifically supports the InterWave supports using these; many will use the ROM-based set exclusively. Software that supports GF1-based cards must use a RAM-based patch set, which is the reason I suggested that you install it. Some software, like Epic Pinball, uses tracker-type music, and will load its own instruments into RAM.

The UltraSound line does not have the usual hardware at 330H. GM emulation requires a TSR; either Mega-Em or IWSBOS. On a card like yours, these will typically use the default ROM-based instrument set, anyway.

Were you not able to get the version 1.0 card running? Anyhow, hopefully I've been of some help. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.