VOGONS

First post, by Stafford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get the emulation working on the following machine:

Pentium 4 630
ASUS P5P800-SE (865PE Chipset, ICH5 Southbridge)
1 GB DDR400 (2x512MB)
Geforce FX5500
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0060

According to what I've read, there is no reason that shouldn't work. The 800-series chipsets with the ICH5x southbridge should be the last chipsets from Intel to support the emulation and the SB0060 has been reported to work.

But nothing. I tried it on Windows 95, 98SE, ME and DOS 6.22, all four PCI slots, using both of the RAM sticks separately... But I just can't get it to work.

IRQs 5 and 7 are reserved on the BIOS. Serial, Parallel, Onboard Audio, USB and LAN are disabled.

On Windows, the device installs normally and shows up on Device Manager as an IRQ 5, Low DMA 1, High DMA 5 device at Address 220, but no games have audio and games with sound tests report failure.

On my DOS 6.22 installation, I copied HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE along with the content of the zip from VogonsDrivers to the DOS folder. I have no AUTOEXEC.BAT and the following CONFIG.SYS:

DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE

Then I execute the following batch file:

SET CTSYN=C:\DOS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\DOS\SBEINIT.COM

No games work and the SBEGO.EXE reports that the emulation isn't running.

I tried the WDM drivers and they work for the most part, but sound effects have a horrible crackle to them, so it's not really a solution.

Is there anything I can do to get it working?

If not, what would any of these work with my current setup? Ideally, I'd want it all working under Windows and DOS.
ES1938 (cheap where I live)
YMF744 (very expensive, I'd have to ship it internationally)

Reply 1 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stafford wrote:

According to what I've read, there is no reason that shouldn't work. The 800-series chipsets with the ICH5x southbridge should be the last chipsets from Intel to support the emulation and the SB0060 has been reported to work.

It should work. Running a Audigy 2 ZS (uses the same kind of emulation as the Live!) on an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe under DOS 7.10 myself.

Stafford wrote:

I tried the WDM drivers and they work for the most part, but sound effects have a horrible crackle to them, so it's not really a solution.

That's just Windows' own Sound Blaster Pro emulation for WDM drivers, also work with USB sound adapters. 😜

Stafford wrote:

Is there anything I can do to get it working?

Does SBEINIT.COM show any error messages? Perhaps try another version of the TSR? What's the content of you CTSYN.INI file? Do you have any other cards in the Sound Blaster PCI/Live!/Audigy series or an Ensoniq AudioPCI you could try?

Stafford wrote:

If not, what would any of these work with my current setup? Ideally, I'd want it all working under Windows and DOS.
ES1938 (cheap where I live)

No, not toghether with Intel ICH based chipsets unless you got a PC/PCI connector and I'm 100% sure the ASUS P5P800-SE lacks it. ES1938 boards are nice with VIA chipsets though.

Stafford wrote:

YMF744 (very expensive, I'd have to ship it internationally)

Perhaps. I've used the YMF744 with a wide range of chipsets using the DSDMA TSR supplied with the DOS driver/initializer on Yamahas site. It's not perfect but it gets the job done for most parts.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by Stafford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Does SBEINIT.COM show any error messages? Perhaps try another version of the TSR? What's the content of you CTSYN.INI file? Do you have any other cards in the Sound Blaster PCI/Live!/Audigy series or an Ensoniq AudioPCI you could try?

I also tried the TSR hosted on PhilsComputerLab with the same results. Could you upload/link the version you use? Unfortunately I don't have any other cards to try. SBEINIT.COM doesn't show any errors. My CTSYN.INI is the following:

[ctsyn.drv]
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
SBEnable=true
JoyPort=200
JoyEnable=true
Waveset=C:\DOS\default.ecw
PCIPort=1000
PCIIRQ=11

[SBEMIXER]
MasterVolL=192
MasterVolR=192
WaveVolL=192
WaveVolR=192
CDVolL=192
CDVolR=192
SynthVolL=192
SynthVolR=192
MT32=+
Kamerat wrote:

I might have to bite the bullet and get one. Does it work under Windows and pure DOS?

Reply 3 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stafford wrote:

Yep, works in Windows and pure DOS.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stafford wrote:

I also tried the TSR hosted on PhilsComputerLab with the same results. Could you upload/link the version you use? Unfortunately I don't have any other cards to try. SBEINIT.COM doesn't show any errors.

This is the one I use for the Audigy 2 ZS (also have to use the AUDIGY12.EXE to get output correct mapped, but that's only needed for Audigy 2 cards).

Stafford wrote:
My CTSYN.INI is the following: […]
Show full quote

My CTSYN.INI is the following:

[ctsyn.drv]
OPLPort=388
MPUPort=330
SBPort=220
SBIRQ=5
SBDMALO=1
SBDMAHI=5
SBEnable=true
JoyPort=200
JoyEnable=true
Waveset=C:\DOS\default.ecw
PCIPort=1000
PCIIRQ=11

[SBEMIXER]
MasterVolL=192
MasterVolR=192
WaveVolL=192
WaveVolR=192
CDVolL=192
CDVolR=192
SynthVolL=192
SynthVolR=192
MT32=+

I don't know if the missing [SBEINIT] or [SBESET.CFG] sections that I got in my CTSYN.INI file have anything to do with your problem? Doubt that myself.

Stafford wrote:

I might have to bite the bullet and get one. Does it work under Windows and pure DOS?

Under pure DOS I'm sure it works with my setups. Under Windows I haven't tried the Sound Blaster emulation much, but at least you got a nice MIDI synth.

YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 7, by Stafford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

It didn't work for me. Same result. I double-checked the INI and BAT files and everything. I'm starting to think I have a trap card - does the SB0060 have a cut-down OEM version?

Reply 6 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stafford wrote:

It didn't work for me. Same result. I double-checked the INI and BAT files and everything. I'm starting to think I have a trap card - does the SB0060 have a cut-down OEM version?

Not sure if it is. Perhaps RayeR's utility for "PCI SERR# to CPU NMI routing" can help you out if that's your problem. Direct link.

YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a SB Live and Win9x.

VXD drivers install SB16 Emulation in device manager (its own windows driver) and if it isn't complaining then it should work. This should work with sound in windows dos. It does NOT work in pure dos or "restart in MS-DOS". The dos drivers(or pure dos) use SBEINIT.com, himem, emm386, Set ctsyn, set blaster that load with autoexec.bat and config.sys.

WDM drivers will usually NOT have SB16 Emulation in device manager (windows driver) and relies on the dos drivers that use himem, emm386, sbeinit.com, Set ctsyn, set blaster to load in order to use in dos OR windows dos.

There are also a few WDM drivers that can also use SB 2.0 Emulation that has been talked about in the past.

With that said, use the VXD drivers. Don't load anything in autoexec.bat or config.sys and try your game in windows dos just so the dos drivers are not conflicting with the windows driver. Once going you can try sbego again and also sbecfg that should allow volume control (if something is muted or low)

What game(s) are you trying to play?

Try the front and rear audio outputs to see if you get sound. It has been said that rear output has a better dac (I haven't confirmed it)

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME