VOGONS

First post, by cabfenrir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys.

I've bought an old Pentium 100 mhz computer to play some DOS games. It came with the AWE 32 CT3670 Sound Blaster, but I can't get it to play any music in my favorite games, like Warcraft 2 and Duke Nukem 3D, for example. Sound effects play just fine, though. On the other hand, Full Throttle and Star Wars Dark Forces play music flawlessly, so I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

I haven't configured or installed anything, the seller told me the sound card was 100% working - but it clearly isn't.

I've tried manually setting IRQ and other settings just like the sound card is detected, using the SET BLASTER command line, but it didn't work.

I'm definetly not a hardware expert, so, please, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you add the required EMU chip initialization?
Without it, the ADLIB/CQM won't get routed and you wont hear any midi music.

eg: C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S

And of course, make sure that MIDI/FM in the SB mixer is set to an audible level.
Note: Some games override the mixer.

What music hardware did you select in Warcraft and Duke3d?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 8, by cabfenrir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:
Did you add the required EMU chip initialization? Without it, the ADLIB/CQM won't get routed and you wont hear any midi music. […]
Show full quote

And of course, make sure that MIDI/FM in the SB mixer is set to an audible level.

I dit not. I'll try that command line later.

Warcraft 2 auto detected it as Sound Blaster 16. Since there is no Auto Detect in Duke3D, I've tried different options like Sound Blaster and AWE32.

I'm at work at this moment, so I won't be able to test it right now, but I'll let you know as soon as I test it.

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 8, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the AWE32 you basically have 2-3 options depending on the game.

1. If you select any form of Sound Blaster (2, pro, 16), you will get Adlib sound, whether its OPL2 or OPL3 is not relevant to this discussion.
2. If you select AWE(32) or Advanced Wave Effects, then you will get the internal soundfont of the sound blaster AWE32. Think of it as a soundblaster-native version of General Midi.
3. If you select General Midi or Sound Canvas, then you are going to need the card to emulate a general midi interface on port 300/330 using AWEUTIL and IIRC having EMM386 loaded.

I'd recommend #2 as your first choice for most games if the options exists.
That said, options 1 and 2 *only* require initialization of the EMU chip to operate, ie: AWEUTIL /S.
Option 3 requires the AWEUTIL to become a TSR and run in the background in emulation mode.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 4 of 8, by cabfenrir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:
With the AWE32 you basically have 2-3 options depending on the game. […]
Show full quote

With the AWE32 you basically have 2-3 options depending on the game.

1. If you select any form of Sound Blaster (2, pro, 16), you will get Adlib sound, whether its OPL2 or OPL3 is not relevant to this discussion.
2. If you select AWE(32) or Advanced Wave Effects, then you will get the internal soundfont of the sound blaster AWE32. Think of it as a soundblaster-native version of General Midi.
3. If you select General Midi or Sound Canvas, then you are going to need the card to emulate a general midi interface on port 300/330 using AWEUTIL and IIRC having EMM386 loaded.

I'd recommend #2 as your first choice for most games if the options exists.
That said, options 1 and 2 *only* require initialization of the EMU chip to operate, ie: AWEUTIL /S.
Option 3 requires the AWEUTIL to become a TSR and run in the background in emulation mode.

Very nice, my friend.

Thanks for the info.

Reply 5 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would just like to add that option 3 only works for DOS games that runs in "real mode" (i.e., doesn't run in protected mode via a DOS extender like DOS4G/W).

Games like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. are all protected mode games and, under DOS, must support the AWE32/AWE64 natively (option 2).
Most of these games can be run from within Windows 9x (i.e., Command Prompt) - in such a case, you would choose General MIDI as your music device and not AWE32.
The added benefit of this is that you can load custom soundfonts and are therefore not restricted to the onboard 1 MB ROM sample set (option 4 😀).

Reply 6 of 8, by cabfenrir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
I would just like to add that option 3 only works for DOS games that runs in "real mode" (i.e., doesn't run in protected mode vi […]
Show full quote

I would just like to add that option 3 only works for DOS games that runs in "real mode" (i.e., doesn't run in protected mode via a DOS extender like DOS4G/W).

Games like Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. are all protected mode games and, under DOS, must support the AWE32/AWE64 natively (option 2).
Most of these games can be run from within Windows 9x (i.e., Command Prompt) - in such a case, you would choose General MIDI as your music device and not AWE32.
The added benefit of this is that you can load custom soundfonts and are therefore not restricted to the onboard 1 MB ROM sample set (option 4 😀).

That's good to know!

I didn't intend to install Windows until now. I might try that just to see how things work under Windows 95.

Thanks for sharing that info, too.

Reply 7 of 8, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MT-32 mode on Windows 9x is just using the soundfont loader? My current rig use a Audician 32 and never tried a Sb32/AWE32, only sb16 cards.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 8 of 8, by cabfenrir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:
Did you add the required EMU chip initialization? Without it, the ADLIB/CQM won't get routed and you wont hear any midi music. […]
Show full quote

jesolo wrote:
I would just like to add that option 3 only works for DOS games that runs in "real mode" (i.e., doesn't run in protected mode vi […]
Show full quote

Hey fellows. Problem solved thanks to the following topic: [Help] Msdos Drivers - Creative Labs SB32 ISA CT3670

I appreciate your help!