VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just wandering. Would it be technically possible to just switch the Yamaha OPL chips on a SB Pro 1 or 2? For example, turning a SB Pro 2 CT1600 into an SB Pro 1 CT1330 or vice versa. I know it sounds dumb and/or odd to do so but the reason I ask is because I am trying to make a year specific build for 1991. I am having trouble finding a CT1330 which was the best SB available that year.. I've yet to see one advertised or on eBay since I have began searching. So to be period correct I could possibly get the CT1600 which I see several of here and there and do this swap. The YM3812 are readily available on eBay as of writing this post. I didn't know if there would be any technical limitations to doing this?

Reply 1 of 2, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure that's not going to work...
You'd need to connect up the logic to drive two YM3812 chips, which the SB Pro 2 doesn't have (the YMF262 just has an extra address line, and has OPL2 backward compatibility built-in).
The YMF262 also uses a single stereo DAC chip (YAC512), where two YM3812s would each need their own separate DAC (YM3014B).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/