sound popping with old FSP psus?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheeRaccoon wrote:

Would you recommend me use a different PSU all together? I would prefer it to be era correct or at least look like it is with a 20pin and no EPS. Also, it's hard to find anything with a nice 5V rail these days. Opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi OP! Welcome back!
I dunno your skill level (electronics wise) so I'm not sure what is best to recommend.
Also the situation of audible popping noises isn't typical.

Assuming a PSU that was working fine initially and barring outside influences (power surge, a shorted output, too much load put on it) probably like 90% of PSU problems go back to bad caps.
On the other, hand bad caps don't usually result in popping noises.

I vaguely remember some cases where a bad cap in the +5vsb caused the flyback transformer to make noise but IIRC that was a loud buzzing noise. Flyback transformers are an old school way to create a standby voltage. It's a mostly separate circuit off to the side of the main PSU circuitry.

If you are inclined to try and fix it the next step is to inspect the internals. **Unplug it from the wall first.**
If not then definitely find a replacement.
Popping PSUs are not a good thing no matter the cause.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.