VOGONS

First post, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys!

I would like to ask for a favor & helping hand. I recently built a genuine 4x86 DX2 system running DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11, but for some (odd) reason, I seem to be having an issue with the sound card. Well two of them actually, as I only just found out few moments ago.

The biggest issue is with the memory consumption - after SB16 got initialized, integrated into AutoExec.BAT & Config.SYS, I've started experiencing memory issues to the point where I can't run the single game! I've been experimenting with Config/Autoexec & conformed that it's indeed actually the sound card itself and not something else - once the lines are removed (commented out), system works perfectly fine & much faster. Any ideas how to resolve this problem, speed things up & increase the available memory? I'm running 8MB of physical memory (2x 4MB 72-pin configuration)

Autoexec.BAT

@ECHO OFF
C:\DOS\MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=2
C:\DOS\MODE CON CP PREP=((852) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
C:\DOS\MODE CON CP SEL=852
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\KEYB YU,852,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
ECHO.
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\MOUSE
ECHO.
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\SB16
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
SET TZ=CET-1CDT,3,-1,0,7200,10,-1,0,10800,3600
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\WINDOWS\net start
GOTO %CONFIG%

:EMSBOOT
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\MSCDEX /D:CD-524E /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V
ECHO.
LH /L:0;2 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV 2048 128 /V
GOTO END

:NOEBOOT
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\MSCDEX /D:CD-524E /M:15 /S /L:D /V
ECHO.
LH /L:0;2 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV 2048 /V
GOTO END

:MINBOOT
LH /L:0;2 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV 2048 /V
GOTO END

:WINBOOT
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\MSCDEX /D:CD-524E /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V
ECHO.
WIN
GOTO END

:END

Config.SYS

[MENU]
MENUITEM=EMSBOOT, Start with EMS support.
MENUITEM=NOEBOOT, Start without EMS support.
MENUITEM=MINBOOT, Minimal Boot
MENUITEM=WINBOOT, Windows 3.11
MENUDEFAULT=EMSBOOT,30

[COMMON]
BREAK=ON
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
REM FCBS=1,0
BUFFERS=10,0
LASTDRIVE=J
STACKS=9,256
COUNTRY=038,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
REM ** DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /V
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\ /E:1024 /P

[EMSBOOT]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM /MIN=0 /V
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:2 =C:\CDROM\GSCDROM.SYS /D:CD-524E
DEVICEHIGH /L:2 =C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220

[NOEBOOT]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS /V

[MINBOOT]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS /V

[WINBOOT]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM /V
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS

The 2nd issue is that I can't get MIDI to work ... at all! I'm getting SFX, a "standard" sound output from SB16 and I'm also getting the system to automatically detect MPU-401 port, which is located at its 330 address (default) but when it comes to playing actual MIDI playback, all I hear is background static. You know, so called tape noise but not the MIDI signal itself. Haven't tried hooking extension (daughterboard) since I don't have one available at the moment, but I don't think it's a hardware fault (at least I hope so anyway) since rest of the sound card seems to be working just fine. Including the CD-ROM controller which I'm actually using for the CD drive!

Reply 1 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To your second issue, the Sound Blaster 16 has an MPU-401 output, but this is routed to the Waveblaster header, and the Joystick port to output MIDI data to a MIDI synthesizer. Unlike the AWE32 and later cards, the SB16 does not have an onboard synthesizer, and can therefore do nothing with the MIDI data on its own.

How do you know that it is a memory issue? After starting up, including the sound blaster files, type the command "mem" and post the results here.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 2 of 9, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From Wikipedia:

"The Sound Blaster 16 retained the Pro's OPL-3 support for FM synthesis, and was mostly compatible with software written for the older Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro sound cards. The SB16's MPU-401 emulation was limited to UART (dumb) mode only, but this was sufficient for most MIDI software. When a daughterboard, such as the Wave Blaster, Roland SCB-7, Roland SCB-55, Yamaha DB50XG, Yamaha DB60XG was installed on the Sound Blaster, the Wave Blaster behaved like a standard MIDI device, accessible to any MPU-401 compatible MIDI software."

So, if I understood this correctly, MIDI should work in emulation mode, to (at least) be able to play the MIDI files under Windows, where on the other hand DOS support is limited only to external hardware through, MPU-401. But in this particular case I'm not getting ANY sound, whatsoever. Windows 95, Windows 3.11 and/or DOS. Just the standard "Wave" output which often translates having sound effects, gunshots, moans & groans but not the music. (Doom & Doom2 for example)

Oh well, I might as well try hooking up WaveBlaster II, I actually got one inside other system, but it's currently paired up with Aureal Vortex2 so I'll need to take it apart.

As for having memory issues... I've made some progress on my own, but I'm far from being finished. The reason I KNOW it's memory thing is because I'm getting bunch of random messages such as "Insufficient memory! You need 640k more to run this game", "Abnormal memory termination", "<app name here> failed to load, you need at least <xy> to run this game, etc. Basically, SB16 cluttered up the entire memory to the point where I can't run anything!

Reply 3 of 9, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My prior statement stands. The MPU-401 is an interface to MIDI hardware. With no daughterboard or external synth connected, the MPU-401 will not produce any music.

In Windows, Sound Blaster 16 drivers should include the capability to translate a MIDI file to the FM Synthesizer on the card. This can be selected through the MIDI mapper. I shall reiterate that this has nothing to do with the MPU-401, so you will need to select an alternate option.

It is likely that your Conventional memory is already somewhat used up and that this just tips it over the edge. You can move
"DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /V"
above
"DOS=HIGH,UMB"

and it could free up some space. Once again, "MEM /C" will give us a picture of what is going on.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 4 of 9, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried hooking WaveBlaster II on to SB16 & still not getting any sound. I can just barely hear faint sound coming from the headphones, but it's pretty much next to nothing. And yes, I've made sure that the volume mixer is turned all the way up for "MIDI", for all the sources except for main stereo output (mix) and still not getting anything. I guess it's a capacitor issue, perhaps I should try recapping the entire card *shrug*

And thanks - will give it a try with MemTest some other time & report back the results 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update, think I finally sorted it out... Take a look guys & please tell me what you think?

Autoexec.BAT

SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\MSCDEX /D:MSCD000 /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V
ECHO.
C:\DOS\MODE CON RATE=32 DELAY=2
C:\DOS\MODE CON CP PREP=((852) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
C:\DOS\MODE CON CP SEL=852
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\KEYB YU,852,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
ECHO.
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\MOUSE
ECHO.
LH /L:2 C:\DOS\NLSFUNC C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\CTCM;C:\SB16
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\TEMP
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\WINDOWS\net start

Config.SYS

BREAK=ON
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=40
BUFFERS=10,0
LASTDRIVE=Z
STACKS=9,256
COUNTRY=038,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE /V
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM /MIN=0 I=B000-B7FF /V
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE /V
DEVICEHIGH /L:1 =C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,2)
DEVICEHIGH /L:2 =C:\CDROM\gscdrom.sys /D:MSCD000
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\ /E:1024 /P

I had to add additional sound commands due to upgrading the sound card. Since I couldn't get SB16 to work, I swapped it out for AWE32. And since I'm ONLY going to do retro gaming on this system, there wasn't much of a point to fiddle with multi option menus, so I went back to one & removed all non-essential commands that could affect the memory.