VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have Yamaha's S-YXG100 softsynth set as the default MIDI device under Win 98SE. I'm trying to get DOS programs running in a window to play MIDI through it. I feel like there should be a way to do this but I'm failing hard at figuring it out. The machine is this one with a VIA / Realtek AC'97 chipset (VT8235), which does give Sound Blaster support in a DOS window, but I'm not sure it's providing any MPU-401 or even SB-MIDI emulation. (The M-Audio Delta 2496 in the machine doesn't have any DOS support at all.)

I think I need a 3rd-party patch bay; I tried MIDI Yoke but couldn't get it going through that. Very unintuitive program.

What's a good way to make this work?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 5, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't.

I battled with this back in the day with my SB Live! and a Roland MT-32 under Windows 98SE. Basically its whatever the sound card driver is hard coded to. My solution was to run Windows 2000 and VDMSound, which created a virtual MPU-401 interface for the VDM and allowed routing to any system MIDI device.

Reply 5 of 5, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kwiniarz wrote:

VDMsound for win9x [...]

Well THERE'S something I didn't know existed until just now. Will give it a try when I get some time.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!