VOGONS

First post, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello im using this sound card in win 98 and im reading mix results for the driver some said the 2041 because the latest 2048 is buggy and others the 2048 is fine what driver version you people recommend?

Attachments

• aureal.JPG
    Filename
    aureal.JPG
    File size
    306.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah or the 2041 on our site.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=37,35

2048 has problems like a reversed channel bug. Not great. But it's also the only release with any EAX support.

If you run DirectX 7.1 or later, you will probably want to use 2015 because there is some kind of incompatibility with later drivers and newer DirectX versions that will sometimes cause system freezes. DirectX 7.0a should support everything needed for the best experience anyway. WinME comes with 7.1 out of the box though which is a problem if you use it.

Reply 4 of 5, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

im curently using 2041 and iam updated to latest direct x for win98se. so if i run into a problem 2015 is good to go? also the 2048 bug is really bad? and how the 2048 handles the latest direct x?

Reply 5 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2048 swaps channels sometimes, so you hear sounds coming from the wrong direction. That's pretty annoying. No I don't know if it does it on digital but it seems likely. I've never used digital output.

I don't remember what else is wrong with 2048. I didn't dig much deeper once I found the reversed channels problem. I remember the EAX being unimpressive so there's that too I guess. EAX is the big "benefit" of 2048 but it doesn't sound very good. I'm sure there have been threads about 2048 so search away.

Regarding the freeze problem, I tested every driver from 2041 down until it stopped doing the repeatable freezing I see with some games. 2015 and the newest MX300 drivers (2017?) were the newest that worked. If you just stick to DX7A, then it's not an issue.